What's it like to live in a yurt in Northern Montana?

I could build one cheap, but the commercially available units are nice looking, self-contained, and sanitary. The SunMar runs around $2k, the Biolet is around $1200, the Nature’s Head is under $1k. I actually designed a system for a multi-stall unit using 30 or 55 gallon drums that would use a lever system on the stall doors to rotate and aerate the drums- The system would have cost next to nothing and handled a couple hundred people for a weekend.

To be honest, though I’m willing to spend more to get something that isn’t too different from what we’re all used to. Most of the cheaper systems have a separating system with a bottle for urine or need to be emptied more often. I don’t want to deal with raw waste- I want to shovel out “clean” compost once or twice a year and not have to think about it otherwise. That comes at a cost I’m personally willing to take on.

Also, there’s some awesome stuff on the market right now- This $120 unit could provide enough hot water for an average house- It’s not what it’s advertised for, but we have one, and you wouldn’t believe how much output it has. You can get a small but surprisingly robust plug-n-play solar setup for a couple hundred dollars, and you wouldn’t believe what you can get in 12vdc versions instead of 110vac.

1 Like

I was thinking about large plastic drums, partially sunk into the ground. With a 3" diameter, 30’ long perforated buried pipe (think septic drain field) and some kind of auger.

I guess at that point it really just is a septic system :slight_smile:

Agree. A ger, as they are called in Mongolia, has no windows, either. The fabric is two layers of canvas sandwiching a layer of felt that is fur scavenged from their grazing animals. The heating stove is in the centre. Traditionally runs on gathered wood or dung, but now mostly burning coal.

And yet, I bet you use money every day. Wonders never cease.

But do they drive a Ute?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.