A house for tomorrow in Los Angeles

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/05/the-last-house-on-mulholland.html

2 Likes

Podcasts are great, but transcripts are way better for those of us with auditory processing troubles.

3 Likes

The house of the future looks like a dinosaur.

2 Likes

Is that a still from a David Lynch film?

1 Like

That’s not a house, it’s a bodysnatcher.

2 Likes

Or can just read faster than listen, yeesh.

3 Likes

Your experience they just want to control, some of us are just left out from the fun and information. :frowning:

Isn’t there some kind of internet turk for this? How many dollars might it even cost to do on the regular?

As of a year or two ago the automated options still all suck. (<80% accuracy - where’s the NSA when you need them?)
At one point I had a few hundred hours of audio I needed to get through and didn’t want to waste the time listening. I got it transcribed on Elance for about $7/hr, (of audio). The result was very good quality, albeit “British English”, with the only mistakes being technical jargon that nobody in their right mind would have gotten right anyway. I have since seen similar work advertised for less on Fiverr but I don’t know the quality or turn-around time.
HTH!

1 Like

Yeah, I know people who can transcribe at absurd rates of speed and accuracy, and funnily enough one of them -did- work for the Joint Chiefs.

It looks a bit too futuristic to be futuristic.

2 Likes

Why is the future architects imagine always so impractical?

Houses in the future are more likely to be tightly packed cubes then giant misshapen space turds.

2 Likes

Houses for tomorrow or twenty years from now will look almost exactly like they do now just as houses of twenty or even fifty years ago look almost exactly like they do now.

Between a construction industry that appears to staunchly resist innovation, building codes that take decades to modify and the extreme expense of innovation (ever try to get parts for some of those “houses of the future” made over the decades or repair ones made of weird s***?)

1 Like

Um, all these podcasts already have transcripts, I would think.

A few do, most don’t.
Understandable, as a good podcast is already a giant pain to assemble. Hopefully the speech recognition AIs will get better soon, (of course that brings about a ton of other implications, eeks!)

It’s not like it’s a law. I mean, it is one for the broadcast airways IIRC but this isn’t those.

What I mean is…
the texts probably exist, in most cases.
Not that they are readily available…
but they could be, probably.

1 Like

Ahh, right! Yes!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.