Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Scientists say more research is needed to determine why sargassum levels in the region are reaching new highs, but the United Nations’ Caribbean Environment Program says possible factors include a rise in water temperatures as a result of climate change and nitrogen-laden fertilizers and sewage waste fueling algae blooms.

10 Likes

The not-so-wide Sargasso Sea.

5 Likes

and boy does it stink!
we fish for mahi-mahi along the edges of large sargassum rafts. the fish hide frome birds and get shade under there.
i have also read somewhere [citation pending*] that the Saharan dust plume that is extraordinarily large this year, drops nutrients over the ocean that feeds the seaweed. that dust also suppresses cyclonic activity in the tropics, making for a (so far) quiet hurricane season.
ETA *here is one from a year ago:

10 Likes

I died for ewe – bon appetit

Apparently it actually said “I died for you [bon appetit]”
https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/apr/27/return-of-the-klf-bill-drummond-jimmy-cauty

3 Likes

Heads up, y’all. It’s hot out there!

8 Likes

Maybe it’ll take more carbon out of the air.

That’s all I got.

3 Likes

Damn right it is. Heat index of 104f in NoVa.

Wish I was in a pool right now.

4 Likes
3 Likes

With a link to the data at this site:

7 Likes
5 Likes

You can photosynthesize? Cool.

7 Likes

The (post-May election) Aus House of Reps has now voted for an emissions reduction target of 43% by 2030, supported by Labor, the Greens and the “teal” independents (who are broadly centre-to-right economically and centre-left on social and environmental issues). Not great, but a start, and a turnaround from the wasted decade of conservative LNP rule. Between Labor, the Greens and conservationist-turned-independent senator David Pocock it will almost certainly pass the senate.

One of these photos shows the LNP members who voted against emissions reductions; the other the teal independents who supported the bill. I wonder if you can guess which one is which.

11 Likes
11 Likes

Crazy lightning storms rolled through NoVaDC tonight.

ETA

Two people killed.

9 Likes

In Annapolis I thought the world was ending. I’ve not seen wind and rain like that since the 2012 derecho.

7 Likes

Yeah sure, let the earth burn up because Xi got his feelings hurt.

8 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

That is not a river we want to see bone dry: talk about dead bodies and stolen goods, etc.

8 Likes

I’ve been by the Thames down by the Eye ferris wheel. It smelled kind of bad even when it was full.

7 Likes