Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

I am one of those, I guess…

What… like “skim the Abstract, head straight to the Results, spot check Method for obvious nonsense…”

There be many of those of us of whom you are one… :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes
2 Likes
7 Likes
2 Likes

I hear you… you literalist you.

I somehow still like challenging my mental deer paths. Going for beginner’s mind (not contrarianism for its own sake: yech!). Trying to get used to uncertainty even if I won’t ever be comfortable living in it. For a while, I was on the hunt for a very specific clock for the wall by our dinner table. I was inspired by Grace Hopper.

At some point, rather than give my family [more] reasons to kvetch at me about my frankly brilliant yet seemingly poorly appreciated ideas about how to run a household, I dropped the idea in favor of just getting to the point where we could all accurately tell time on an analog clock* as well as a digital :roll_eyes: clock.

Humans have so many different kinds of thinking, it makes me wonder if we have so many different kinds of brains. Or maybe it’s differing neurochemistry. :thinking:

* Analog watches have one really really cool function: they can be used as compasses aka “the Boy Scout Trick.”

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

The juice media doing honest work by taking the piss out of the powers that be.

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

The Middle East and North Africa is already the hottest and driest region on the planet but climate change could make some areas uninhabitable in the coming decades with temperatures potentially reaching 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit) or higher.

That’s like a mild sauna.

7 Likes
6 Likes

it’s a dry heat.

6 Likes

One concerning thing is the increase in situations where the wet-bulb temp rises over around 90° F. That is approximately the point where any cooling system relying on the evaporation of water (e.g. sweating) will no longer cool a human being. At that point, a person will literally die without A/C.

7 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

These folks are up to something. Somethings. Thanks for the heads up.
https://heatisland.lbl.gov/projects

There’s this interesting thermodynamics thing that happens when albedo increases–the heat [energy] does get reflected back but then still has to go… somewhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-03/reflective-pavement-may-be-less-cool-than-it-seems

(ugh, OneBox ain’t boxing and it’s probably the aggressively-coded Bloomberg site but here, pretend this is a Onebox:)

The Problem With ‘Cool Pavements’: They Make People Hot

A tool to help solve the problem of urban heat islands could have an unwelcome side effect, new research in L.A. finds.

About two months ago, Ariane Middel walked the empty streets of Sun Valley, a suburban neighborhood in Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley. The roads there had recently been coated with an asphalt mixture called CoolSeal, which lowers air temperatures by reflecting the energy from sunlight, rather than storing it and converting it into heat.

For hours, Middel and a team of researchers dragged an elaborate heat sensor, mounted to a garden cart, down the streets and sidewalks to grab meteorological data. A climate scientist at Arizona State University in Tempe—where air temperatures soar into triple digits—Middel didn’t feel all that hot. But after crunching the data, she discovered the reflected sunlight hadn’t disappeared: She had probably absorbed it. […]

So every time I read some cheerful piece like this one here (NB: this was written prior to the City Lab article above)…

… or that NRDC piece, I have to take some of these good news articles with a grain of salt. Hyderabad is will be getting feedback in several senses of that word (energy cannot be created or destroyed, right?), and it may take a while for folks to fine-tune the project to address unwanted, maybe unforeseen consequences.

5 Likes
6 Likes