Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

11 Likes
4 Likes

Those who do not learn from history…

3 Likes

“There’s going to be a dramatic change in the front of the glacier probably within less than a decade,” Ted Scambos, a senior research scientist at the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, said.

"It’s doubled its outflow speed within the last 30 years, and the glacier in its entirety holds enough water to raise sea level by over 2 feet. And it could lead to even more sea-level rise, up to 10 feet, if it draws the surrounding glaciers with it,” he added.

Time to buy a boat.

3 Likes
3 Likes
9 Likes

Meanwhile, 18F tonight, 65F Christmas Day here in the Valley. The widely misunderstood part of climate change / global warming is that with so much more energy in the atmosphere, we will see absolutely wild, unpredictable variations from the mean. It will be a wild ride from here on in, folks.

4 Likes

We’re in weird territory in Philadelphia too. Christmas?

3 Likes

To give one example, temperature estimates for the Eocene used to vary wildly. It was clearly one of the hotter periods of the planet’s history, with conditions thought to match our extreme and unlikely worst-case, high-emissions future. Yet estimates for exactly how much hotter it was than the preindustrial era varied hugely, from 9° to 23° C warmer. Inconsistencies between proxies, methods, and timeframes all added to the noise.

These guys are far more optimistic than I am.

2 Likes

Hey, they brought it down from 70F from just a few days ago.

Picnic plans?

2 Likes

It’s supposed to be in the 60s down here…

3 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Yup, 70’s here. Windy as all get out, but feels like early summer.

5 Likes

74 in Richmond today. Kids paddle boarding on the James River in shorts and tshirts. Convertible tops down. Xmas BBQs.

Weird.

5 Likes

First white Christmas in Vancouver in 13 years. I guess we are overdue since the one before that was 1998.

6 Likes

Me Too Samesies GIF

Mid-60s around the ATL… far to warm.

5 Likes

We turned on the AC. High 80s inside. This is only going to get worse isn’t it?

7 Likes

Yes.

5 Likes