Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

If your boat washes up into the Chesapeake I’ll be sure to let you know!

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Well, at least until the next gQp regime.

5 Likes
10 Likes

I give them full credit for GTFO of the way as fast as they could, instead of going toward the danger (as so often happens in these videos).

4 Likes
5 Likes

World Oceans Day is on June 8th. Here’s an excellent report about how oceans are affected by human activities that cause climate change:

4 Likes

Thanks, another whiskey please.

9 Likes

All affected mutants, stay safe!

4 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Mowed the grass (part of it) today. Tested the following (strongly recommend if being outside in the heat is unavoidable):

(get extra ice packs, keep them in cooler, exchange when the ones you’re wearing get warm)

Put this long sleeve UPF shirt (white) under the vest:

Soak sleeves up to shoulder with water.

Put a white T-shirt over the whole thing, to keep the sun off the ice vest.

Wear a wide brim hat. In Texas, we have a lot to choose from. I soak a tea towel, put it my head, then put the hat on. I have a cooler of ice and more tea towels floating in the melt-water.

Field notes:

• Drink coconut water (esp. if Gatorade is not your jam) before and during heat exposure. And after. Electrolytes.
  • Since these have coconut in them, I think it’s fair to say they are medicinal:
  • Cold showers.
  • Lying on a cold tile floor in the air-conditioning, with a fan blowing on you, is a good for shedding excess BTUs.

I may consider an icepack under my hat, if I can figure out how to wrap it well for a thermal buffer between my scalp and the ice.

2 Likes

Gel-icepack-thingy (bends to shape) in a terry cloth shower mitt. Works for me.

5 Likes

Oh man, perfect.
I might even sew a velcro closure on the open end.
I don’t relish the idea of using a safety pin that springs open next to my scalp.

Outta my league but same principles apply:

I know best practices say ice applied to skin must be < 20 minutes, IIRC not to exceed more than once an hour, to avoid freezer-burning one’s skin.

2 Likes

Excellent idea! I must do this.

3 Likes

Episode 7 Ugh GIF by The Bachelor

Also…

7 Likes