When your professor is dead, but teaches anyway

Damn, and I came all ready to post this. Oh well, like a Ghurka unsheathing his Kukri, I am honour bound to post this gif anyway.

(And thanks for the explanation!)

4 Likes

I was an academic teacher, and I can’t imagine prerecorded lecture. The whole point is that students should be able to ask questions during lecture. Without that it just feels like a waste of time - reading chapter in a book would be far more efficient.

6 Likes

It’s not ideal… but I think that trying to lecture over zoom or webex would be a fucking nightmare, honestly. The website we use for content includes a section for making discussion boards, so I have a section set aside for questions specifically from the lectures.

The textbook often does not have the material I’d like to cover.

11 Likes

To be fair, they know brains.

3 Likes

My partner has been pre recording all his lectures so the students can watch them any time. Some students are no longer in the same time zone because they had to return home for quarantine. Then he uses the scheduled video meetings for discussions and questions. Some students still “stay behind” after class for extra personal questions.

It’s philosophy so he’s not just teaching from a textbook anyway. He’s teaching bits from various different sources. And has also been using some youtube videos as examples of different ways to engage with the same material.

He’s had more than one student tell him that his class has been the least demanding but the most informative class they had during quarantine. And he’s actually had better retention and assignment completion than he’d had in person, although he really misses the in person classes.

9 Likes

Mines about the same, I think…

Yep. Except when I have an early morning class…

7 Likes

This is a good thing. I had an in-person philosophy class three years ago where the prof had obviously put this amount of thought into planning the time.

His lectures were all pre-recorded, allowing us to manage our own schedule (and reducing our commute times!). In-person discussions were held as a two-hour seminar, rather than one-hour tutorial. The extra time was needed to go into proper depth. I really wonder why other subjects weren’t run in this exact way, and I would have advocated for it except that it was my final semester.

5 Likes

That really depends on the lecture size. A lot of classes for 100 level courses are so large you don’t get to ask questions during the lecture. But that’s what recitations with TAs are for.

4 Likes

True, it makes sense for these huge lectures for hundreds of people.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.