Which are smarter, cats or dogs? New study gives us the answer

Same here.

(And our cat is definitely at the high end of the IQ scale, and waaay smarter than some dogs I know.)

4 Likes

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/30/567446485/fda-says-stay-away-from-bone-treats

2 Likes

OMG, my cat never goes outside either…I’m starting to believe she thinks like Rorschach in Watchmen (warning: violence): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xmzXG1GmkI

2 Likes
1 Like

What I found interesting was that Wikipedia’s article on “dog intelligence” used to measure intelligence in dogs by how well they learned to obey human commands. (I’m sure the last time I read it, that it did!) But that’s apparently changed since whenever I read it last.

Now it has a separate article about a book named The Intelligence of Dogs, by Stanley Coren. The author measured intelligence in dogs, and ranked them, by a dog’s obedience to commands, and how well a dog grasped what a command meant in the quickest amount of time.

(The ability to understand commands and obey them is not necessarily a good measurement of intelligence, in my view.)

3 Likes

Just gonna leave this here…
It’s an awesome YouTube channel.

ETA
Full disclosure: I have six head of cats. I describe them that way because they are not all “complete.”

Specifically, among them, they have 22 legs (do the math) 5.2 tails, and 11.4 ears.

They’re all neutered, so technically, I suppose I should declare zero gonads also.

3 Likes

I know which one I want around if I ever get stuck down a well.

3 Likes

The verdict is in, and cats are stupider than dogs.

What do you expect when people won’t let them in the damn library?!

11 Likes

That dogs are smarter than cats does not necessarily follow from the study’s findings. Number of cortical neurons is a brutish measure of intelligence. Cortical connectivity matters more than sheer volume of neurons. It’s possible to have a network of 250 million neurons that outperforms a network of 530 million neurons—it’s just a matter of how they are networked!

Using the number of cortical neurons as a proxy for an animal’s intelligence is as ridiculous as using the number of transistors in a CPU as a proxy for a robot’s intelligence—it’s just looking at the hardware without taking into account the software. Potential computational power is not the same as the computational power that’s actually used. It’s not hard to imagine: one can program a computationally powerful bot to only dance variations of the hokey pokey, while a bot with less computational power can be programmed to discover mathematical proofs.

This is a fallacious approach to quantifying intelligence, but obviously it’s perfect for clickbait.

9 Likes

the myth that cats are not social animals really needs to die. cats are social, but they are just different in the ways they exhibit it than dogs.

13 Likes

It also means they have to maintain more complex social relationships with other animals than “run away from it, eat it or f**k it?” That means reading moods, coordinating actions, communicating intent, etc.

7 Likes

also their facial structure is almost designed to make us go awwwwwwwwwwwwww

people talk about intelligent design, but what about ADORABLE design?!

2 Likes

I read somewhere – maybe here on BB? – that if its owner dies, a cat will start to eat the corpse much sooner than a dog will. Surely that’s proof that cats have a more profound gastronomical appreciation than do their canine counterparts.

4 Likes

Cats were more accidentally tamed and bred then dogs.

1 Like

Uh huh. Sooo murderous!

I can’t take the beliefs of a psychologist terribly seriously. That’s how we got eugenics.

10 Likes

All I know is, most cats wouldn’t deign to join Mensa.

6 Likes

Nope, it’s been debunked serval times by @Grey_Devil. Cats are picky eaters, but dogs are not.

6 Likes

Glad to know i don’t have to jump in here and post that link a 3rd time lol

4 Likes

I expected more vitriol here. You all must hate your pets. Also, dogs.

2 Likes

cat-skateboard-deal

11 Likes