Who else wants to be a Chia farmer?

Be sure you’ve read the actual studies where they tried to kill SSDs:

Quite illuminating. Off-brand SSDs are definitely a risk IMO. But if you go name brand I think durability will be excellent, primarily because of the data presented above :point_up_2:

1 Like

Ok, this is funny.

I don’t have any current empirical data, so this is purely speculation; but I’d honestly be curious to know if the 2015 drives are actually more durable than contemporary ones would be.

SSDs have certainly improved a lot in terms of the, um, ‘character’ of some of the early controllers and firmware (eg. just about anything JMicron did; certain intel units that would randomly decide that they are actually 8MB drives with garbage in the various ID fields, that one bit me at work a bunch); and they are way faster and way cheaper; but that has been achieved, at least in part, by expanded use of the astonishing-it-works-at-all high density QLC stuff; rather than comparatively durable, but costly, SLC.

The controllers are amply capable of hiding the problem if you just overprovision the drive enough, and are likely better than before at spreading writes around; but, as you move from drives that are durable because the flash just doesn’t die to drives that are durable because they have spare flash, endurance is increasingly a design decision driven by how much flash you actually want to populate the board with but not include in the capacity number on the box.

1 Like

Crypto crash time at the moment, apparently!

Ooh, this is super interesting, only just noticed this crypto existing this week.
(via LTT again)

I have a self-built NAS running 24/7 thats already mining bitcoin. and it has a spare 6TB HDD sat in it completely unused (used to be an external USB drive. when it failed i pulled it apart and it turned out it’s USB-SATA board had died, not the drive)

So i’ll be setting this up this weekend in a VM, already have all the hardware i need :slight_smile:

Yeah netspace has exploded.

https://www.chiaexplorer.com/charts/netspace

Rewards are proportional to netspace, so the bigger the netspace (amount of disk storage occupied by Chia files) the smaller the rewards divided amongst everyone. They badly need pooling because right now it doesn’t make any kind of financial sense to keep storage online for Chia. Not sure how long the current demand will continue with that financial reality… in one month, the netspace increased by 12x!

There’s also that weird self-made Chinese pool, hpool, which is starting to dominate the total netspace. In order to join you have to hand over your private key; they dole out partial Chia rewards relative to your size… but take 20% off the top in the process.

Basically this is a study in how not having pooling can really hurt you. They say official pooling will be out by the end of the month, though… that approaches rapidly!

1 Like

ehhh… chia is connecting to wallet forever…
I want innnn

1 Like

As this covers quite a lot of ground I’m posting this in several threads, so please don’t get confused or irritated.

2 Likes

@ZoeyyeoZ This is what I was talking about!

The founder of BitTorrent is on a quest to develop an eco-friendly cryptocurrency.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.