Who makes the drugs used in lethal injections? Soon, that will be a secret in Alabama

Not understanding why they don’t just give them a massive dose of heroin. You see a white flash and then you’re gone. Cheap, simple, painless.

If the state did not possess this monopoly, we would essentially be in a war zone. The issue seems to be whether this monopoly is exercised wisely, and there’s good evidence that it is not.

Morphine would be better from a supply standpoint but yeah, I don’t get it either.

My concern is that if the contract itself is secret, then it is unauditable. There’s no telling what they’re injecting the poor monsters with… and that just might be the point.

I’m sure one of the boingers who follows the topic more closely than I do can give a better answer, but iirc, a number of court challenges to the death penalty lie in the 8th amendment (“cruel and unusual punishment” ). So, if they can hide what drugs are used to kill people, then it becomes a lot harder for death penalty opponents to say the drugs used cause excessive pain, if they don’t know what they are.

Look at the company you keep, America:

Countries and territories that retain the death penalty for ordinary crimes

Afghanistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Botswana, Chad, China, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Cuba, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Libya, Malaysia, Nigeria, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Authority, Qatar, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad And Tobago, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States Of America, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Same thing with gas chambers. Why not, you know, use pure nitrogen?

Use of any commonly-used drug in lethal injections would likely prevent the sourcing of that drug from any European country.

Michael Portillo, a former UK Conservative MP, made a BBC documentary about capital punishment where he tried recommending nitrogen to a death sentence advocate.

He was told it was unsuitable as the prisoner didn’t suffer enough.

My god, adding government employees to the nanny state payroll is an even higher crime against the Tea Party than questioning the death penalty!

The condemned might accidentally experience pleasure, and we can’t have that.

Also, drugs are BAD, mmkay? Think of the message this would send to children.

As recently as 2005 we were on an even shorter list of countries that allow people to be executed for crimes they committed as minors.

2 Likes

6 minutes in

The video begins here

You could spin it as drugs killing people.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.