Why capitalism and consumerism play so well with Christianity in America

2 Likes

And the SBC just blows that thesis out of the water. Them, exalted? BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

1 Like

25 posts were split to a new topic: Jesus! Did he exist? What was he like?

3 Likes

are there any christian varieties that don’t require faith?

some other religions seem to avoid that – ex. if you’re born into a particular group of people, you’re of that people ( ex. one of the chosen. ) simple as that. your belief is besides the point – but christians seem to require it as a bare minimum.

2 Likes

I’m not aware of any, but with all the variants, there very well could be.

As I was using it, it’s a classic question that can also be phrased as “Is faith alone sufficient for salvation”

2 Likes

I’d say whatever groups Thomas Jefferson ran with that led him to create the Jefferson Bible were likely Christians that did not require faith, and instead focused on works.

2 Likes

Don’t some communities of Quakers fit that? They require practice rather than belief and openly express doubt.

Also, Islam is a set of practices rather more than a set of beliefs, you are not born into the chosen people and there are no chosen people and anti-racism is one of the practices. What you believe is of lesser importance than what you do, praying being one of those chief practices.

6 Likes

yeah. i was thinking of that a bit and didn’t know how to describe it. it seems to differ subtly from christian works.

the former seems to be things like prayer, hajj, and observing religious days. the latter seems to be things like don’t sin, do outward acts of charity, and convert people. sacrament seems almost like a practice, but it seems secondary to faith

i do think faith and conversion seem to pair well with empire and capitalism, but then people always emphasize the aspects of their religion that fit the world they want

the whole thing in islam of don’t lend money with interest wouldn’t seem to pair well with capitalism, but people obviously find ways to work around

2 Likes

And then some!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.