Why Facebook changed its friends icon

I had to put the (Classical) Chinese down though I keep meaning to start again.

did you notice that you, by telling someone to grow up, are also a guy telling someone to feel second class? Are you a guy who appreciates irony? one who can laugh at himself and learn?

1 Like

I think you might re-read the original comment. I see a statment of opinion ‘silly’ - not a complaint.

‘Complaining’, ‘not moving on’, ‘feeling it was obnoxious enough that you needed to share your displeasure’… these are things that you appear to be doing.

I am not complaining. I am trying to point out that you’re doing the things you’re finding upsetting. You have the right, as you said, to think anything at all, including that someone else is an insensitive dude who doesn’t care how other people are treated.

I’d like you to reconsider though,. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder, and you’re not doing feminism any favors with it. You may be right, maybe not. Right?

I was thinking about this a little last night. And what came to me were two comparisons: 1) The Confederate Flag, and 2) The “Redskins” team name. I think both of these are offensive and not “silly” things. Others don’t agree. This Facebook icon pales in comparison and reaches the level of "silliness to me.

I’m free to express my opinions. You are free to make assumptions. But realize that assumptions are frequently way off base.

1 Like

Do you at least understand, now that I’ve explained the symbolism, why your original statements were factually wrong?

2 Likes

No. It is opinion and not fact. And I don’t agree with your opinion. Symbolism is not fact - as evidenced by how The Confederate Flag is symbolic of two (at least) vastly different things depending on who you ask.

2 Likes

Right, but you’re still basically doing the exact same thing that people in favour of confederate flags and Indian mascots do - you’re telling an oppressed class (women) to which you do not belong that something that concerns them is “silly”. And it’s fine if you find it silly - but the correct way to phrase that is “Wow, this seems silly to me. But since I’m not a member of <insert oppressed class here>, I guess it’s not really up to me to decide what <insert oppressed class here> deems important to them”. As opposed to “Wow, you guys are really silly that you find this to be something that’s even worth talking about”

(edited for angle bracket coding)

4 Likes

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

5 Likes

So, basically - you don’t know anything about what you’re talking about, you refuse to learn anything about what you’re talking about even when it’s given to you, and you refuse so far to actually engage with anyone who doesn’t agree with you, preferring instead to go off on non sequiters and argue against strawmen with opinions you are unlikely to actually even hold. When you make claims that are demonstrated to be wrong (like the fact that the “man is now in the woman’s shadow”) you retreat to claiming it’s only your opinion, man, as if opinions can’t be wrong or disingenuous.

Well, I’m sorry I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Your opinion is not just premised on things that are just as factually wrong as someone saying that slapping a stranger on the butt is perfectly okay because people already shake hands; it is also completely worthless, because you’re not engaging with reality, and I don’t even think it is your opinion at this point, just a warped and stupid rhetorical point you can push for leverage without actually believing it.

You aren’t ignorant, uncultured, foreign, or stupid - you’re actively malicious in your attempts to subvert the conversation for an underlying but unspoken goal.

So, uh… good luck with that, yo.

4 Likes

Now you’re denying gender!

That is a fair enough statement. However, I would venture a bet that the vast majority of women would agree with my original statement. Of course I could be wrong.

Hrm, I’m having trouble parsing this. Maybe teh googs can help?

6 Likes

Get a grip.

In other words you are saying since I don’t agree with you you are entitled to fly off the handle.

2 Likes

It’s not about intrinsic differences (which are not standardly visible except on the genetic level), it’s about visibly average-differences in our culture at this particular period of time that work. How many women wear skirts on a daily basis? But more women wear skirts than men wear skirts, so it is a useful shortcut to indicate which bathroom should probably be used.

But there’s nothing intrinsically friendly about shaking hands, but fickle fashions of confirming that the other is not bearing weapons, or wishes to seal a deal without a formal, paper contract.

1 Like

There is a building that is one-story tall, in front of a building that is 100 stories tall, and the light source is in front of both building such that the shadow of the one-story building falls onto the 100-story building.

Positing the possible positioning of light sources, what percentage of positions has the 100-story building completely over-shadowed by the 1-story building?

What percentage of people will complain that this is totally unfair, and the 100-story building should move back to where it was before, 1-story buildings are completely capable of defending themselves, and can’t we get on with more important things?

1 Like

Mod note: Keep cool.

Well, whether or not your guess is accurate is pretty unimportant, since actual women in this thread (not to mention the woman who did the redesign in the first place) found it to be an interesting/important issue.

5 Likes

Holy crap don’t they have programmers there? The site can tell what GENDER the logged in user is, and use that gender as the one in front.

1 Like

This is great, so when is facebook going to stop deleting the profiles of trans women?

This is basically just a distraction from all the misogynistic shit facebook is doing but doesn’t want to be held responsible for.

2 Likes

The people here that think this is striking a blow for equality are vastly overstating the significance of this gesture. The graphic artist did not even notice it until they wondered why the female glyph had a chip in it. Were folks previously upset by this icon? I see nothing to indicate as such.

Second, all the talk about ‘being in the shadows’ is someone’s interpretation - not fact. You are looking at a 2-D object and trying to determine how far back or how much smaller it is to fit a ‘in the shadow’ narrative that is in your mind. There are plenty of other people that just see two normally sized people standing close to each other. I don’t know about where everyone is from, but I generally see taller men than women. It just looks like two normal people (the height proportion looks about right) - there is no shadow cast anywhere and I don’t see the female glyph as far back from the other anyway. I would buy the ‘in the shadow argument’ if the torsos were offset (like the group icons) and not parallel on the same plane. This is almost always used to indicate different Z planes.

At the end of the day, I think the artist had good intentions. I don’t think anyone is denying that women often fall into the shadows of men. However, if the artist had done it and not blogged about it - a.) would anyone have noticed? and b.) if they did, would they have seen the same significance she did or simply thought it was a site redesign?

3 Likes