Why Labyrinth is awesome

I always assumed that was intentional, providing that-much-starker contrast between the two worlds.

Nice.

Based on all the del Toro I’ve seen, I think he’s built his own little universe, and it clearly involves the Spanish Civil War and the ghosts and demons that haunted it. I liked Pan’s Labyrinth immensely, but I think I might actually like The Devil’s Backbone more. If you liked the former, I highly recommend the latter.

1 Like

Verily, it is surprising that we have not yet seen some soulless CGI reboot of this film yet.

They got pretty far into pre-production with “Return to Labyrinth” back in 1991.

Sean Astin would have been perfect as the teenage Toby, although the decision to recast Jareth with the then-popular Vanilla Ice and relocate him to a “cyber-rap maze” proved a bridge too far for the grieving Henson family and they pulled the plug.

9 Likes

Coraline was basically a remake of Mirrormask, though I liked Coraline better.

• Based on a story by Neil Gaiman
  • Central character is a girl frustrated with her life and family
  • Girl discovers a secret portal into a dreamy fantasy world where she meets odd doppelgängers of her friends and family, talking cats, and some crazy circus-themed shit
  • To escape this realm the girl must confront a witch queen who has taken the form of her own mother and take control of certain artifacts that act as a key between worlds
  • Girl eventually succeeds with the help of a selfless friend
  • Balance restored, the girl is able to move forward in her new life (and a newfound respect for the guy whose doppelgänger helped save her)
6 Likes

Sounds like my kind of movie!

Apropos of nothing: Stardust!

Also, someone (with a lot of talent) really needs to make a movie out of “The Ocean at the End of the Lane”

!!!

3 Likes

Up until last week, this outfit was on display at the EMP in Seattle. I’m told that when they were making the custom display mannequin, they had to try a few times to get the … area right. Somewhere between “baggy” and “not family-friendly”.

7 Likes

Hammer pants are pretty much the opposite of what Bowie was wearing. He could have smuggled a whole enchanted produce aisle in a pair of those.

12 Likes

Eternal stench?

5 Likes

Millennial?

All the genx ladies I know came up in the 80s and cut their sexual teeth on David Bowie in Labyrinth and Tim Curry in Legend.

We’re the ones with the preoccupations. Not them whipper snappers!!

13 Likes

Lemme hear an ‘amen’ to that, sister! Even weirder about this odd truth? Bowie was 4 months younger than my mom. ::sadtrombone::

4 Likes

I’m trying to remember any product placement at all and I’m blanking. Sarah runs home, pouts in her room, calls on the Goblin King, and heads into the labyrinth. Was there stuff in her room besides books and teddy bears?

2 Likes

I wish I could downvote this.

2 Likes

I love both Coraline and Mirrormask. Coraline prob a bit more. While they may have a formula, and yes, on some level adhere to certain contrived scenarios, at least they feature strong female lead characters who are not utterly dehumanized. And they’re fun creative fantasy movies!

1 Like

Dear God.

All of that sounds… Bizarrely wonderful. Heh, ok, maybe as a spoof.

3 Likes

i’m gen-x, too. everyone i know who’s obsessed with that movie is solidly millennial, which is why i said that. i’m sure there’s some crossover, but i definitely find more gen-xers in the Tim Curry camp (or the Ziggy-era Bowie) than the Labyrinth-era Bowie.

I’m not sure about millennial. I’m 38, and for me it’s definitely an iconic movie, along with The Dark Crystal.

4 Likes

Well, it had to be better than that Dark Crystal sequel.

4 Likes

17 Likes

You just HAD TO GO AND SAY IT. Now it’s bound to happen.

Okay, if it does I don’t really think you’ll be the one to blame but rather the ouroboric nature of Hollywood.

1 Like

If anything, MirrorMask was a remake of Coraline.
Coraline (the novella) came out before McKean and Gaiman even started writing MirrorMask’s story.

2 Likes