Why Sanders is still campaigning, in eight sentences

3 Likes

12 Likes

Yeah, but what has Vonnegut done for us lately?

(Though do agree with the sentiment. Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.)

3 Likes

Old Dead White Men promulgating both Trans- and Grammar- phobia.

17 Likes

Is there a chance that Sanders staying in the race will begin to make Hillary an actual sincere person?

If not, then I’ve got a more useful task for him. It’s not like our governmental system has any real redeeming features currently.

They’re easy enough to understand, but goodness, why couldn’t he just change the title a bit and add some periods where there currently are semicolons?

2 Likes

Theres nothing wrong with transvestites or hermaphrodites. I don’t know how a hermaphrodite would be a transvestite though, surely any gendered clothing would be correct for them.

I still don’t know what a semicolon is for though

16 Likes

I would argue that a sentence with more than one semi-colon is not a sentence. (the need to disambiguate complex lists of items which themselves contain commas aside, of course). Just because you can commit a string of words and punctuation to paper without using a period doesn’t make it a sentence.

1 Like

If someone wants to know “why Sanders is still campaigning” in two semicolon-free sentences:
Sanders is still in it because he’s allowed to be and thinks he can accomplish something meaningful by doing so. At present, it is unlikely that “something meaningful” means “become the Democratic Nominee,” but there are other, lesser victories that he and his team think can come of this.

If someone wants a tl;dr of the article:
Clinton isn’t as good a candidate as the Democratic Party and media want to make out that she is. Sanders is a better candidate than he’s been given credit for by same. Without a 59% majority of delegates going into the convention, Clinton cannot be a presumptive nominee by Party rules (Democratic Party rules being something the author, Clinton of 2008, and Bernie of 2016 all agree are odd and undemocratic), which means anything can happen. (Where “anything” here means “anything but Sanders becoming nominee unless Clinton has to drop out for some reason”)

17 Likes

They would dress as a person of no gender whatsoever?

1 Like

Because he hasn’t lost (and won’t do so until the convention, thanks to the super delegate system) or run out of money yet, and he’s enjoying the chance to make his argument on the national stage.

5 Likes

You should see some of Shakespeare’s:

But to say I know more harm in him than in myself,
were to say more than I know. That he is old, the
more the pity, his white hairs do witness it; but
that he is, saving your reverence, a whoremaster,
that I utterly deny. If sack and sugar be a fault,
God help the wicked! if to be old and merry be a
sin, then many an old host that I know is damned: if
to be fat be to be hated, then Pharaoh’s lean kine
are to be loved. No, my good lord; banish Peto,
banish Bardolph, banish Poins: but for sweet Jack
Falstaff, kind Jack Falstaff, true Jack Falstaff,
valiant Jack Falstaff, and therefore more valiant,
being, as he is, old Jack Falstaff, banish not him
thy Harry’s company, banish not him thy Harry’s
company: banish plump Jack, and banish all the world.

5 Likes

As a literary masochist I couldn’t resist pulling apart this article, but all I’m left with is this nugget of astounding logic: If the leading candidate fails to win 59% of the available delegates, the runner-up is the strongest candidate.

Good job, Seth. I can see why Cory left “logician” out of your bona fides.

1 Like

Or would they be an obligate transvestite?

1 Like

This is almost 2 and a half times as long as the most recent Paul Krugman column.

3 Likes

Sanders started out his campaign arguing that super-delegates were anti-democratic and that they should respect the votes of the democratic primary electorate. It is now clear that he cannot get needed primary votes. Now, instead of conceding, he is arguing that super-delegates should ignore the will of the majority. Why? Because it is his only hope to get elected. That is fine with me. Flip flopping is a time honored political strategy. But I hope people will start to realize that to be successful all politicians need to pragmatic at times. And pragmatism isn’t the same as insincerity - it is how work gets done.

1 Like
  1. A majority of delegates is not the sole deciding factor in choosing the best candidate.

2. “Life isn’t fair”. Lulz. So we are still kicking that ‘Sanders supporters are children’ horse.

Sanders has done something truly amazing during this primary that is not mentioned often. He has rekindled or sparked a new optimism and fire for the political process in COUNTLESS people of all ages and backgrounds who largely felt entirely apathetic about voting. And the Democratic party, instead of embracing this groundswell of REAL enthusiasm and asking ‘what can we do to embrace these people’, has obfuscated, colluded, patronized, and played dirty the whole time, and completely repulsed many of these people. The persistent dismissal and belittling of Sander’s historic campaign has also, as an unintended consequence, exposed the vapidity of the media to an entire new generation that previously was ambivalent about them, but now actively loathes them.

So while everyone continues to talk ‘horse race’, the entire political landscape is transforming in front of their faces while they ‘lol sore loser’ and ‘lol u mad bro’. I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but if you believe that Sanders supporters are: naive, sexist, white priveleged millenials, ‘Bernie bros’ or ‘Bernie brats’, etc…, then history has passed you by.

21 Likes

The Sanders Campaign is Flat

Hey, just to be clear: Any transphobia on my part is not intentional.

Transphobia: don’t want it and don’t need it so don’t be selling that poison here.

I didn’t consider it a really important part of the sentence but included it anyways. I would hope Vonnegut’s intentions were similar. And as he identified with Humanism heavily, I don’t feel that’s too misplaced.

And although I love German and Germans, this always made me laugh:

Whenever the literary German dives into a sentence, that is the last you are
going to see of him till he emerges on the other side of his Atlantic with his
verb in his mouth.
- Mark Twain, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court

7 Likes

"How to Explain the Sanders Campaign to an Idiot, Paul Krugman or a Clintonite in 8 Sentences"
Well, as none of these it didn’t make much sense to me, but I think I managed to guess the main thrust of his arguments:
The first part goes over the overly complicated rules that Americans have for deciding who will be the next god-emperor, then he explains that Saunders could still win and then says that Clinton is horrid.
Did I miss anything?

My explanation would be shorter:
They’re politicians, not human beings, expect them to fuck with you.

1 Like