Why there's a cult market for really old iPods

IPod

2 Likes

I don’t know why Peter Pawłowski hasn’t updated the links, but these should be correct and secure

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Foobar2000

1 Like

Ha, me too. Anyone who thinks there’s a “cult market for old iPods” should check out what Sansa Fuzes and Clips are selling for on ebay. A nice one can sell for twice what it sold for new, and I am sure that Rockbox is the main reason.

Ten years ago I had a flip phone on my belt and a Rockboxed Sansa with a 32g card in my pocket. Today I have a flip phone on my belt and a Rockboxed Sansa with a 400g card in my pocket. Ten years hence I hope to have a flip phone on my belt and a Rockboxed Sansa with a 4TB card in my pocket.

Cameras are the biggest offenders here. In the 35mm era, just about every SLR had shutter speed, aperture, focus and zoom controls in the same place. I have three digital cameras and hardly ever take them out of training wheels mode because I don’t want to dink around with nested menus. (And yeah I know no one is buying cameras any more, see “flip phone” above).

4 Likes

Yeah so I bought a clip and then my wife bought one a year or so later and it was different (worse). I noticed my kind was discontinued and I bought 3 more of the old ones on ebay for not too much more than retail. I still have one unopened and 2 of the others are still going. It also really helps that they’re like the size of a pack of gum so I can throw them anywhere. I have them in hot pink silicone cases which makes them really easy to find.

In contrast, I have an old 80GB iPod in my car that has more music on it than the entire library of some local radio stations…

4 Likes

That’s amusing because only yesterday I was thinking there is no good reason to ever use leopard print on anything, but now I see that I’ve been proven wrong!

2 Likes

Hmmm… I don’t know what SDKs the foobar2000 developers used. The forums are on Hydrogen Audio and seem to work for me (linked from the foobar2000.org home page): foobar2000

At any rate, while it’s a bit fiddly at first, once I figured out how the Android version worked, it became my go-to.

Another option would be to use VLC, which can be had either via Google Play or via F-Droid. It will happily play audio files as well as videos.

1 Like

Thanx!
carson
I’ve used it on Windows for years but didn’t know about Android. For that matter I’ll have to take a closer look at this list.

Based on the SDKs (ostensibly) serving up ads from whatever data those platforms already have, I’m not sure I’d worry much about Rocket Player hoovering up my data as much as serving ads, which I’ve never seen it do. (ETA: IOW, it seems like these SDKs push, don’t pull.) But I think it might be wise to look elsewhere. (Generally I use websites instead of apps when possible, anyway.)

Also, for what it’s worth, both foobar2000 and VLC are ad-free.

2 Likes

My iPhone 11 Pro Max has 512Gb of storage, compared to my old iPod Classic with 180Gb.
At some point I’d like my Classic to get an upgrade, a new battery and solid-state storage, a terabyte would be nice, to allow for future music library expansion. :sunglasses:

When ripping CD’s there used to be a facility where an album could be set to not play in shuffle mode, or you could select the tracks and combine them so the whole thing would play; I’m not sure if that can still be done or not.

I know tye software I use under Linux is pretty variable. But I’m using low level stuff, it’s not all automated. So I can choose how to present tye digitized CD.

But it’s one or the other, nothing I’ve noticed where you can put “tracks” into one long MP3 or whatever.

So if you want both, you need files for songs and duplicated as sides. But maybe I wasn’t paying attention and missed something.

30-pin USB cable? Goodwill has always been my source. Usually a dollar or two and bonus “free shipping”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.