Why U.S. streets are becoming deadlier for pedestrians

Those two things (cameras and red lights) are not the same. Traffic cameras (speed cameras) are possibly sufficiently new and rare in the US that people see them, realise they are speeding and slam on their brakes, though how this causes pedestrian injuries is a moot point. Traffic lights are a long-standing bit of infrastructure well understood by drivers.

4 Likes

The poster referred to speed cameras separately later in the post so, from context I had inferred that camera based enforcement of the law at junctions was killing people in the same way that speed cameras were (that is not at all of course except in motorist fantasy world).

4 Likes

Ah - I inferred the poster was using the terms interchangeably.

2 Likes

Obviously, it’s driving at dangerously moderate speeds that is killing pedestrians.

10 Likes

the newer trucks have the headlights up higher, and they are also a cooler bluish color which causes them to appear to be brighter at night.

My 2011 tundra has a towing package on it; one of the features I’ve used on it is the the ability to lower the headlights (obstinately to accommodate the tongue weight of the trailer or whatever’s in the cargo bed) so I’m not blinding the poor person who’s in a honda accord in front of me.

I’ve been blinded by newer trucks at night with their friggen blue-white LEDs that are throwing nearly a million candlepower forward, which turns into a major hazard and problem.

Yes, we do need to revise the regulations on that, but the outcry that will raise… ::shudders::

Also, a PSA: If you are driving at night, and a driver either flicks their brights at you (or turns their lights off then back on). CHECK YOUR OWN LIGHTS- You might have your brights on accidently (the US standard dash indicator is a blue headlamp icon) or one or more of your lights are out and should be checked before you get tagged by a cop.

(and finally, if you know you have a headlight out, for the love of all you hold dear DO NOT TURN YOUR BRIGHTS ON to compensate for it- It’s OK to have the ol’ One Eye Jack going until you can get to a part store to get the bulb replaced. (unless you have an LED module that costs several thousand bucks to replace coughFordwheeze))

6 Likes

… surely the healthiest thing for pedestrians is for motorists to speed and run red lights :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Mad Max Reaction GIF

8 Likes

I’m having trouble finding clear numbers on this. No doubt that manual transmissions are a bit more common there, but I’m seeing numbers reported that over 80% of European cars are sold with manual transmissions and reports that over 20% of all new cars there are electric, which seems to be at odds with the other number.

6 Likes

It’s true. I drive a GMC Sierra 2500 and I hate it. People always ask me if I’m a truck guy now, and I immediately respond that I miss my Prius. The visibility on all sides is terrible. But for some use cases they’re the only option that works. I wish people with those use cases were the only people that chose them.

2 Likes

Not tailgating might help.

8 Likes

I have been driving 45 years in New York, I’ve seen people driving 25 mph in New York City but unsure that they was doing the speed limit slam on the brakes to slow down and the car behind them trying to avoid hitting them ran on the sidewalk and hit the schoolgirl who fought is that, and cab drivers all the worse they could be in the middle lane and come all the way over and slam on the brakes just to pick up a $5 fare, you see it every other week on the news in New York City

If you hit someone when they stop, even emergency stop, from behind it is your fault. If you instead go and kill a schoolgirl rather than mess the paint job on your car it’s your fault and you are a total arse hole to boot.

16 Likes

IMG_1675

10 Likes

By the way I never said red light cameras I said speed cameras which New York City has a lot of it helps but with a lot of these new drivers it does not do them any good they need to go for a better course

Yeah - but if you can make it there- you can make it anywhere.

5 Likes

Do you mind if I ask why you bought it, given all that? :thinking: Did you need a pick up truck and this was the only real option (as they’re all like this now)?

2 Likes

… are you trying to write “Whose fault is that?”

and is it really not obvious whose fault it is :confused:

3 Likes

Well, when you’re screaming along at 25 mph and someone in front of you brakes suddenly…

2 Likes

No one looks before they cross the road any more.

… and it’s not like drivers should know there are pedestrians on sidewalks in New York City :roll_eyes:

4 Likes