Wil Wheaton's frank, brave speech about his depression and anxiety

I disagree. Sure, Wheaton and Lev Grossman and the other writers and artists/celebrities who have depression or other mental illnesses may not be crippled by it, (though I do not think anyone who isn’t very close to them is in a position to judge that), are able to be successful despite their illness. But they still have it. They still struggle. And like every artist, actor, or professional sports hero who comes out as gay, they normalize it. They get people to talk about mental illness, get it out of the shadows, and help remove some of the shame and stigma associated with mental illness. Just like the way all our brave LGBT artists and celebrities helped our entire county realize being LGBT wasn’t anything to be ashamed of, wasn’t icky or wrong, that awesome people are gay or trans. That they are just people, like everyone else. It’s not quite the same, because mental illnesses are diseases and being LGBT is most certainly not, but the shame and stigma issues are similar. The hiding and lack of understanding by society and the people close to us are similar.

We, as a society, are not going to get the money and determination needed to properly research mental illness the way cancer and diabetes are researched unless people start taking it seriously, realize that they are diseases and not some moral/mental weakness, and that all kinds of people in all kinds of places have them.

And artists like Wheaton help people understand. My husband said that reading the Magicians series by Lev Grossman really helped him understand what it was like for me, as someone with depression. Grossman explained things, helped him understand how it feels for me everyday, in a way I, not being a fantastic writer, hadn’t been able to. And that, right there, is fucking priceless. Having depression and the skill and talent to help people who don’t understand what it feels like. If the artists don’t “out themselves” as having mental illness, the people reading or watching won’t understand that the way they depict mental illness is authentic. That they are pulling from personal experience. That yes, this is what someone who has a mental illness can really feel like.

So I admire Wheaton and Lev Grossman and all the others like them. They are brave to reveal they have a disease that most people don’t take seriously and will judge them for having. They are making a difference in how society perceives mental illness and helping individuals like my husband, who desperately wants to understand so he can support me.
I’m sorry you have it so bad, that you’ve been crippled by depression. It’s awful.

That made me cry. Actually physically cry. Because they do have something for those of us on bad end of the spectrum. Or at least me and some other people I know personally. They help me and people I know who do have it bad feel a little less alone. A little less broken. They help the people who love us understand. They help us combat the voices that tell us we are worthless and not worth the air we breath. I’m sad and sorry they don’t have anything for you. But they do for others.

16 Likes