Will The Lion King remake be better than the original?

Because it is such a straight up remake, Honest Trailers won’t even have to write a new critique. This one should apply exactly the same:

3 Likes

“Moar please”

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. “MAGA” anyone?

Make no mistake, they won’t be losing money on this, unless somehow – against all odds – it’s actually shit, and then they will either break even, or absorb any loss into their behemoth mass. Their tendrils reach everywhere.

Or a yogurt container.

Everything is a remix.

A theatrical rerelease yet again of the original would still be essentially free money for Disney, because seeing it at home is nifty and all, but seeing it on a huge screen is so much better.

With the new one, they could even do a double feature for the “true fans”.

I have a minimum of two complaints about Disney (off the top of my head); the way they’ve screwed with copyright so it favors them at the expense of the public domain, and the role they’ve played in the perpetuation that women are little more than objects that need a man to be whole or valued, even if the man is a beast that locks her away, because he does it out of “love” (and I’m aware they’ve made some steps toward changing that, but they’ve been baby steps at best).

That’s a long way of me saying, “fuck Disney.”

2 Likes

Hmmm.

8 Likes

If memory serves the answer was “he breaks into a musical number.”

5 Likes

I dunno—the takeaway message from the last few Disney princess movies has largely been “FUCK PRINCES, I don’t need a man to be complete.” (Thinking specifically of Merida and Elsa, and to a lesser extent Tiana.)

5 Likes

My first “real” job was working at a movie theater (it’s not as awesome as it sounds, believe me). The very first thing I had to do after getting my vest and name tag was to clean out a theater after a showing of the Lion King. That permanently soured me to that movie (that and having to hear that motherfucking Elton John song in the credits some 1000 times throughout the film’s run).

6 Likes

4 Likes

While giving due respect to the Klingons, Disney’s Shakespeare is best viewed in the original Japanese.

4 Likes

I still say most of Shakespeare’s works wouldn’t make any sense to a Klingon.

Macbeth: A warrior murders the king in order to usurp the throne.
Klingon reaction: Where’s the problem? All hail King Macbeth!

Romeo & Juliet: A star-crossed couple put aside the blood feud between their families for love and die tragic deaths as a result.
Klingon reaction: That’s why you never, ever put aside a blood feud.

King Lear: An aging monarch struggles to decide which of his three bickering children should assume the throne after his death.
Klingon reaction: Whichever one kills the other two in honorable combat. Duh!

Titus Andronicus: A power struggle between two families leads to an increasingly dark series of events including murder, rape, torture, mutilation, filicide and cannibalism.
Klingon reaction: Oh, a comedy!

Hamlet: A prince struggles with the question of whether or not to avenge his father’s death.
Klingon reaction: What is this I can’t even

14 Likes

Right. I said “I’m aware they’ve made some steps toward changing that…”

Since my daughters are grown, I don’t see that many Disney movies anymore, unless it’s something my wife wants to see or a Pixar film outside of the “Cars” franchise. Maybe they are finally doing a 180 and repairing some of the damage of the past.

It’s been some time since I’ve seen Frozen, but wasn’t the focus more on Elsa’s sister, Anna who has a thing for Hans, and spends a good chunk of the movie with Kristoff? I know Hans got his comeuppance, and Kristoff ended up with a job and not a princess, but it felt like the implication was there – but I could be misremembering/misreading things.

I look forward to them making amends for our current copyright problems, but I won’t be holding my breath for that day to come.

1 Like

Maybe they could do a version of Cars in the Mad Max universe…where gas is running out
:thinking:

3 Likes

And that right there is why Robin Williams had it written into his will that Disney can’t use any of the ‘Genie’ material that was left on cutting room floor in new versions of Aladdin, for at least 25 years after his death.

Smart man.

6 Likes

Okay, that I would go see. Mater rocking face paint and a mace.

2 Likes

I wonder if they even bothered to record any new dialog from James Earl Jones or just recycled his voice performance from the cartoon version.

2 Likes

You almost harshed my mellow; I had to check the google to make sure JEJ is still alive.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing that periodically since the late '90s just to be sure. I think it’s just because his booming voice sounds so natural when conveying wisdom from the afterlife it’s hard to remember that he hasn’t actually passed over yet.

3 Likes

Perhaps Shakespeare was to the Klingons what Chicago Mobs of the Twenties was to the Iotians.

Come to think of it, the Klingons definitely came back for a piece of the Federation’s action…

1 Like

Just going to cut and paste someone’s comment from the AV Club cos I can’t be bothered rephrasing and pretending it’s mine.

Composites of CGI and real-world elements tend to look more convincing when the color is muted. If you mute the color of both, they seem to exist in the same place. A desaturated, high contrast pallet also hides some of the texture deficiencies of CGI elements.

It’s much more difficult to make something brightly colored look natural in its environment. You need to nail the luminescence, reflectivity and texture, otherwise it looks fake and cartoony. If you’re making live action CGI, that is exactly what you don’t want.

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. My gig was the era for movies like Blind Date, Dream Warriors (that friggin’ song), Predator, etc.

2 Likes

“It has to look super bland, for technical reasons!” is a terrible defense of an artistic project in a visual medium.

Also, heavily-CGI movies with intense, heavily-saturated color palettes and well-integrated visuals like Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Thor: Ragnarok (all Disney productions!), Pacific Rim, and Fury Road all exist and say hi. “The only way to make it look good is to eliminate the contrast and color” is a demonstrably false statement. It may be harder, but it’s by no means impossible with current technology, and it’s getting less difficult every year.

2 Likes