William Gibson: how I wrote Neuromancer

Shoot, if we’re talking awesome cyber books that might not get enough exposure, let me throw out a few others that I think are key shit:

• John Brunner’s The Shockwave Rider, originally published in '75 I believe. Full on cyberpunk before it had even been invented yet! Crazy visionary.

• Rudy Rucker’s Ware Tetralogy, beginning with '82’s Software. Awesome trippy spiritual cyberpunk masterpiece. Also check out his more recent Postsingular, which is a hoot! Rudy is awesome, he’s a mathematician and really enjoys theoretical physics, and responds to fan mail I will add. :slight_smile:

• John Shirley’s Eclipse trilogy, which was from the early 80’s but was re-released with some updates a few years ago. Scary fascist cyberpunk, sort of like what might happen if Cruz gets elected, hah!

• Pretty much anything by Charlie Stross, although I really think Accelerando is a great starting point. It’s a little sloppy and disjointed, as it was written as a series of connected mini-novellas, but holy cow is it hilarious and amazing. Halting State and Rule 34 are absolutely essential as well, some of the most realistic and prescient super-near-term sci-fi I’ve read, and in 2nd-person perspective to boot!

4 Likes