Windows 10 EULA: Microsoft can killswitch your unauthorized hardware and pirate games

They can’t and won’t block pirated content. It’d be a fool’s errand to track warez. It is not worth concerning yourself with.

It is worth figuring out what this means, in that it targets Xbox ones running Win10 and Windows Store games.

Expect Microsoft to protect their appstore content and console from piracy, but there is zero evidence that this is meant to extend beyond.

4 Likes

Yeah, they’re concerned about how game and phone app publishers would respond to this matter instead of the lowly PC serfs. Lets honest with ourselves, the PC user market for Microsoft is a dead end so I don’t see their EULA changes as being part of the PC version of Windows 10. It’s just more tacked on to make it easier to manage the legalese.

1 Like

Firstly, this is just poor security. If you make an effective firewall, Microsoft has no way of knowing what your computer may or not be doing. Why should it be assumed that people can’t/don’t/shouldn’t secure their box online?

Secondly, EULAs also tend to include that they are subject to change without notice. So - change it.

1 Like

How the hell is one supposed to make sense of that stupid new logo?

Why is there a “window” floating in space and casting a shadow? Looking at it makes me sick.

3 Likes

This is Cory’s third piece of FUD on Windows 10, does he even bother to research these in the slightest?

3 Likes

It’s also a consequence of them trying to roll every single service agreement they have into a single one that covers all of their products and services - it has to be unusually broad because Skype isn’t Windows.

3 Likes

I’m just saying that there really isn’t an alternative out there for “normal people”, people who don’t want to babysit their OS constantly. I used to be a power user, until I decided I just didn’t have time for it. My OS was getting in the way of me doing stuff that I viewed as more important, so I crawled back to monolithic, untrustworthy, uncustomizable, and now, increasingly insecure (by design) operating systems, because there isn’t a choice.

There is no middle ground. If push came to shove, I could be back running my favorite flavor of Linux in a weekend, with some growing pains (Lightroom, gaming, a music player that doesn’t completely suck), but is this true for my parents? Or people like my girlfriend who just want an “information-toaster” that’s compatible with everything she needs to throw at it, and doesn’t give two shits about nerdy-computer-stuff, or dipping into CLI, repositories, or permissions?

There will be operating systems for nerds who need the maximum complexity. I know hugely complex systems CAN be usable as well, look at OS X, running, basically, as a shell over BSD. We need that, but not run by Apple or Microsoft. We need it open, so we know when a monolithic corporation decides to sell our data to corporations or governments. It amazes me that Apple could do it, but the only open alternative is… what? Ubuntu? (I trust Canonical more than Apple, but not much more).

Maybe things have changed, its been two years since I’ve felt masochistic enough. Doing some quick research, though, I’m intrigued, did they roll their own window manager now? Is it better than Unity (bleh, Unity was Windows 8 before Windows 8 was cool)? I’m still going to stand by my statements though, Linux is an artifact from the 70s, following things that were state of the art in the 70’s. The directory structure, for instance, serves no one but geeks. Go find where a program is installed… On Windows it is really simple, on OS X a bit less simple (since OS X litters things with billions of small files), on Linux… Dig. Why is this in …/etc/bin/user/dev/null/parakeet, but this is in …/bin/user/etc/parakeet/dev/aardvark, when they both are connected to the same bit of software? Why can I make my screen into a completely useless cube that runs like ass? Why can’t I populate my own programs menu arbitrarily (this might of changed, hopefully). Why is my USB microphone called GFFGDF345FG, and is somehow a directory, a file, and a device, which requires me to fine a new repository (what?!), and find out what tool I need to authenticate whatever that is… and… Why does the main bit of support I can find tell me to “buy a new microphone”? A bit hyperbolic, but I’m looking at this from the point of view of my parents, most of my friends, and my girlfriend.

2 Likes

It has a major plus - config files are editable plaintext, and there is no monstrosity like the Registry.

At least it is logical and the directory names are mercifully short.

apt-get install mlocate

…problem solved.

Isn’t it in some text file?

Okay here, I still did not get intuitively familiar with the new sound system. aplay/arecord and all the device numbers…

1 Like

It’s not just you. I’ve been seeing this off and on in posts as well. I have to go find the post on bbs.boingboing.net directly.

1 Like

Now, Live CDs is something Linux has done right. I have a huge folder full of them, for various architectures, windows managers, with different specialties, etc… They have saved me more times than I can count. I might go download one and give it a poke, lately I’ve had a Linux virtual machine sitting around for various small tasks (like teaching myself Python), but may its time to work on the dual boot. Though I’m not sure how nasty that will be with an SSD, haven’t tried it since switching off platters.

You kind of have me there. The Registry should be killed. But, on the other hand it is a central location. The problem with config files scattered about is that it is hard to really have a decent “control panel” GUI that encompasses all of them, and can handle incompatibilities and interdependence. Especially when it comes to devices.

[quote=“shaddack, post:31, topic:64185”]
At least it is logical and the directory names are mercifully short.[/quote]

Short yes, logical? No. Well, yes, it is logical, by its own internal logic, but it isn’t at all intuitive. A directory (generally repeated several times throughout the file system) called “etcetera” doesn’t quite have the ring of “program files” or “windows”.

By needing to dig into CLI, like its 1989.

I don’t necessarily find any of the things I listed as horribly daunting, but then again I’ve used Linux for years (my first college computer class was on a VAX terminal). I’m thinking about people who aren’t computer nerds. There should be a better (read FOSS) OS that is as easy to pickup, for people like my parents, as switching from OS X to Windows or visa versa. Where the user needs no technical knowledge whatsoever. Obviously, this dream OS would still be robust like Linux. I suppose what I’m dreaming of is FOSS OS X.

1 Like

1989 was a good year. People weren’t poisoned by mice and still knew what a commandline is.

CLI beats the hell out of GUI for most of tasks that aren’t editing of images. For remote assistance over the phone, you can dictate even pretty complicated tasks - try that with GUI and several levels of complex menus.

With the mouse addiction the computing went the wrong way, and is continuing in that course.

3 Likes

Really lazy reporting of something already debunked. Do I need to Google it for you? Seriously CD, you are so ready to jump on any bit of anti-Windows…uh…stuff that you suspend your skepticism. Always verify. In this case, that attempt will prove fruitless. Oh yeah…you’re really late in reporting this already debunked bit of…um…news.

3 Likes

If you dislike the command line so badly* why don’t you use synaptic:

It has been around for over a decade, as have other GUI configuration tools.

*: I swear I’ve heard Windows types rave about Powershell.

1 Like

Powershell is the shit (in a good way)… I really should do more than poke at it but 99.9% of the time I need to do something it is just one or two lookups/changes/etc so the GUI is just as fast.

1 Like

Linux is such a jumble.
From a programming point of view it is a mess of libraries and installation systems and GUIs that make it impossible to write a program for “everyone”. You either supply C code and a make file, or you make a bunch of installers that cover most of your customers, or you just get specific saying something like " SUSE 11 only!".

I hoped Ubuntu would step in and be the Common Man’s Linux. While they are okay, they are still amateur hour compared to MS or Apple. If you are of nerdish nature, it’s workable, but its not for your mum.

3 Likes

That’s like saying, “if you can change its oil, you should drive a car.”

Taint the way sir.

You heard of the no fly list. What happens when the government decides you are on a not computer or internet list, you can bet M$ will only be too happy to kill your access as long as they are paid to do so. You install windows 10 then you are a bloody idiot.

As a person who cut his teeth on C64 Basic, grew into adulthood on DOS and Telnet and BASH, spend a lot of time in their… er… further adulthood with several Linux boxes, and still manages to keep a virtual Linux machine on hand for emergencies… I respectfully disagree.

CLI has a place, but is often overkill. It really increases the threshold for people who don’t feel the need to spend a decade on memorizing every augment (was that foo /d /f /re /fdar/ bar.* /4?). A lot of the time, for most tasks, it is just easier to click and icon, click a menu option and let things run. For average use, when you need to hit a CLI it is a sign of failure on the part of the OS (or manager).

After 3 decades of computing I can use a CLI faster than most windowed applications. But for normal people who don’t work in the industry, or who didn’t come up in the “old days”, CLI is pretty daunting. Computers aren’t what they were in 1989, they are used for different things, by different people. Back then computers were for nerds and professionals, now computers are for your grandparents.

Wishful thinking. I still have yet to go a month on Linux without needing to hit the CLI for something. Powershell is actually pretty okay, though I’ve only just started to appreciate it, but Powershell is pretty much completely optional. You can run Windows for decades and never even know it is there. The Terminal though… Eventually your going to have to use it, and, if your not a geek, it will defeat you.

[quote=“gregmcph, post:38, topic:64185”]
I hoped Ubuntu would step in and be the Common Man’s Linux. While they are okay, they are still amateur hour compared to MS or Apple. If you are of nerdish nature, it’s workable, but its not for your mum[/quote]

Ubuntu makes me sad, I, too was hoping for “Linux for everyone”, but… They kind of went all Mozilla and started just making “Linux for what we think everyone wants but probably doesn’t!” The one nice (or bad, depending) thing Ubuntu did, though, was introduce some standards. Debian, apt-get, etc… As long as you stick with the Debian-alikes your support is pretty good. But it quickly becomes a hastle if you move to things based off of other big projects. I always liked OpenSuse more than Ubuntu/Mint/Debian, but often hit compatibility walls.

2 Likes

Not as daunting as people who feel entitled to simply buy and use things without knowing how they work. It lowers the bar of curiosity and personal responsibility. I am as egalitarian as they come, but if people refuse to put in the effort to learn and use their systems, then it (computer) is not for them. It’s like saying “I understand that fitness/hygiene/diet is valuable. And despite my lack of any interest in actually knowing or doing anything meaningful in this area, I have some money and so feel entitled to its benefits.”

The other option is to have computers be simply an appliance, administrated remotely by benevolent dictators who you don’t quite trust. It might seem more inclusive, but it actually hijacks open computer science with capital.

1 Like

This entire statement drips with paranoia, the government can dictate that a person stay away from computers but it can’t force a person to.

1 Like