Wonkette posts bizarre cease-and-desist letter it received from "Diamond and Silk"

I’m still waiting for a taco truck to show up in my neighborhood.

5 Likes

Apparently we blew that chance when we let Trump take office instead of Hillary.

Maybe we should consult Mr. Gutierrez on which of the 2020 candidates is most likely to deliver those wonderful trucks.

5 Likes

Call it “The Kapo Niche”, because that’s what all of them are.

5 Likes

Again, in a nation of underpaid nurses, firefighters and cops, it AMAZES me what you can get paid to be a conservative as Koch money flows down like sewage

2 Likes

All those asses aren’t going to kiss themselves.

1 Like

IANAL. Anyone can make a C&D request, it doesn’t need to be lawyerly. However, public persons prevailing in a defamation lawsuit is virtually impossible. They would need to prove Wonkette acted with actual malice and complete disregard to the truth or falsity of their statement. It seems all of Wonkette’s claims could be thought to be arguably true in their view, so a lawsuit on defamation would never prevail.

Or they just need to outspend Wonkette. A judgement that could loose on appeal could still win if a ruinous amount must be paid immediately before the appeal, as happened to Gawker. A billionaire with a grudge could fund lawsuit and use the favored libel lawsuit bully of billionaires, Charles Harder.

It would be nice if all threats like this could never go further than summary judgement dismissals, but as Ars Technica and Techdirt have experienced, even winning a suit can be ruinously expensive.

1 Like

Those two Aunt Jemimas had no intention of trying to file an actual lawsuit, IMO.

This was just an obvious scare tactic attempt that only makes them look even more ignorant than they already did.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.