Worker surreptitiously ate $9,200 worth of deli meat, reports grocery

I always liked the expression “never trust a skinny chef”.
If you were to ask a deli employee for a recommendation, it’d be nice if they knew what things tasted like, and what was especially good.

6 Likes

She occasionally ate salami.

Throw away the key!

3 Likes

It works out to around $4.60 a work day. That’s like 1/2lb. of meat a day. I’m with you that it’s not a huge thing, but it goes a bit beyond a nibble here and there. Having not worked at a deli counter I’m not sure if that’s normal. At burger joints I worked at lunch was always a perk.

1 Like

“Ah, but the sliced ham, that’s, that’s where I had them”

9 Likes

And its probably more than covered by requirements to provide staff with a meal. Depending on state regs thats incredibly common in food service. .

It looks like a large amount dollar wise, but spread over 8 years? You’re getting more waste just from the scraps created by running meat through the slicer, that can be a pound or two of meat shreds a day per slicer at busy deli counters or in heavy prep at a restaurant.

Not familiar with the food/bev industry are you?

Its common to work 360 days a year. More than 8 hours a day. 200 working days at 8 or sub 8 hours a shift is part time/not enough to make ends meet.

5 Likes

the article also describes it as “three to five slices of ham nearly every day” which makes it sound a lot more trivial. At roughly a dollar per slice of ham, I kind of suspect that they may be inflating some numbers to make this sound worse than it is

4 Likes

NOTE: After a discussion with Tuscarawas County Sheriff Orvis Campbell, this story has been changed. The story initially indicated that the woman had been charged with felony theft, but no charges have been filed as of Sept. 8. “While our office did take a report of the issue as requested by the store, no determination of charges has been made,” Campbell said in a Facebook release.

They’re reviewing the situation.

5 Likes

The manager claims three to five slices a day. Unless she’s slicing off giant slabs of meat that’s like one sandwich worth per day, which is considerably below half a pound.

10 Likes

I MUST OBJECT IN THE STRONGEST POSSIBLE TERMS. You should say that your boss “reined” you in, as a rider controls a horse.

Other than that, I approve completely, and have upvoted your post.

9 Likes

(Note: please don’t take this post as an attempt to fat-shame. The comic just seemed too damn relevant to not post it.)

23 Likes

As much as I wish this really happened in Canton, Ohio, it was merely the Canton Repository that reported this - it happened in Bolivar, Ohio (as kind of messily stated in the original article - locals tend to refer to the paper as the “Canton Suppository” for a reason.)
With that out of the way, man…ONLY $9,200 over 8 years? Let the lady have her free lunch. Knowing how small town delis work, she’s probably the reason why people even bother to stand in line for their deli meat.

5 Likes

I remember some odd rules in kitchens I worked… we could nibble on cucumber, but not carrots, buns only after 3PM, deli meat, only the butt ends. There was a hand lettered sign in the kitchen of the one chain resto I worked in that read “Even though we made record profit last year, we have increased corporate targets and can no longer allow kitchen staff to snack.” I thought that was pretty tone deaf. Why even mention the profits?

6 Likes

3-5 slices of Ham?! it’s ridiculous to worry about that - there must be more backstory.

3 Likes

This is a @beschizza story. Be happy that’s the only pictorial liberty he took.

7 Likes

estimate
~260 working days per year x 8 years = 2080 working day
2080 days * 5 slices per day = 10,400 slices
Total cost for 10,400 slices is $9,200 telling us each slice retails for about $0.88

4 Likes
6 Likes

Isn’t it against health codes to eat in food prep areas? I seem to recall my brother being cited for that at the pizza shop where he worked. Perhaps that’s why she was let go?

1 Like

yeah, it’s pretty weird. I kind of assume it’s “putting the screws to the workers via the letter of the law, for no good goddamn reason” type of weird, but that’s based on social trends, not direct knowledge

1 Like

Ahhhh… Many moons ago I worked in the bulk dept. at a natural grocery store. My station for packing up containers of nuts and oats and shit was conveniently right next to the cheese packing station. The lady that cut the cheese always made sure to leave me the leftovers, so young me got experience pretty much the entire range of cheeses that humans produce. From thenceforth I could no longer abide shit yellow cheese.

That job was delicious :yum:

8 Likes

So why weren’t charges filed? Maybe because they know this is bullshit, a jury will think it’s bullshit, and they don’t want to spend more in taxpayer money than the inflated figure GE gave for their alleged ham theft only to get a not guilty kicked back that could in turn be parlayed into a lawsuit against GE? :slight_smile:

3 Likes