Writers condemn UK book censorship order

I’m not sure if part of being a parent involves broadly publishing your child’s sensitive medical information, especially since they will continue to bear the effects of this decision well past the point they attain the age of majority.

Telling a friend about your child’s medical condition is different than publishing it in a way that future employers, insurers, and everyone else will be able to discover.

1 Like

Being a parent absolutely involves being in a position to decide whether or not to publicize your child’s sensitive medical information based on your own values and the circumstances you find yourself in.

1 Like

So, based on the parent’s values, it might be appropriate for a parent to publish that their specifically-identifiable 17-year-old child is depressive, transgendered, gay, has attempted suicide, has been incarcerated, etc., etc.?

Maybe you have wiggle room given your caveat regarding “the circumstances you find yourself in,” but the circumstance of publishing a memoir that you’ve previously agreed not to publish doesn’t seem like a very compelling circumstance.

I giggled at

Leaving aside the fact that 17-year-olds are clearly in a grey area that small children are not, I can easily think of a situation where that would be appropriate - when the best chance to turn things around is to gather public support. The kid might even think it’s a good idea too.

But surely the courts are in the better position to decide, right?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.