Yard sale drawing bought for $30 is a 16th century Dürer worth $10 million

Oh, thank you for a real LOL :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I certainly hope that yard sale man got more than just that $30 in return.

It’s a fascinating book, not least for his tips on techniques and materials suitable for period art, if you’re inclined to want to get into that sort of thing.

Other tips include: monograms are better than signatures, especially someone like Dürer’s. Firstly, it’s such a distinctive and obvious part of the design, there’s the plausible deniability that you weren’t trying to fool anyone, it’s just part of the design. Then there’s the line that it’s not “1558AD” meaning that Albrecht did it in 1558, it’s something you did in the style of something done in 1558.

Also, don’t try to pass something off as Rembrandt, or Titian, or Giotto, because there’s a reason they’re called the Old Masters, and you’re almost certainly not that good. Also, because all the science on earth will be brought to bear if people think that’s what they’ve got. Instead, write “Rembrandt ?” in pencil on the back, and the expert will likely think “Well, someone thought this was a Rembrandt, but that’s obviously wishful thinking, it’s not that good, but it’s clearly in the style of Rembrandt, maybe even of the school of Rembrandt… ooh, I wonder if this is a van den Eeckhout! I’ve made a great discovery!”, and let the expert fool themselves.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.