Yet another tech worker rants about being overentitled

Who has had the worst work environment experience? - since we’re all overentitled /sarcasm

My first tech gig was a start-up doing contract work for the USAF building PTT’s for pilot training on the (then) new glass cockpits. I worked out of Centennial Airport and consulted with McConnell AFB and once flew a Cessna 170B there and back (I completed ground school as part of my OTJ training).

Sounds great right? That part of it was.

My “office”, however, was a converted storage closet - and by “converted” I mean, there was a flat space for a KVM and a chair. It was the standard work til you drop schedule, but the kicker, and why I submit it to the list of “worst working conditions” is that every afternoon beginning at 2:30/3 Care Flight and the local News choppers all got refueled and I shared a wall with the refueling station. The fumes from the AVGas made their way into the ventilation system and it got so toxic in there one afternoon I almost passed out before I realized I was being poisoned. I was used to the smell of aviation fuel, so smelling it didn’t strike me as odd - but when I started to lose focus and went to stand up but collapsed like a sack of potatoes - that, yea, knew there was something wrong.

What’s the worst place you worked? Keeping in mind that excessive hours for excessive periods of time for sub-par pay is typically the entry fee for the privilege of having a bad work experience in the tech sector.

4 Likes