Yet another tech worker rants about being overentitled

This is just my guess:

Bend over and take it / shut the fuck up.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s this game where the music plays and we walk in a circle around some chairs. Then, the music stops and we all sit down. Well, most of us sit down. There are always some lazy assholes that didnā€™t think to have a chair under their ass. You donā€™t see me standing around like a no-chair-having shrub, do you? They donā€™t just hand these chairs out you know. I worked hard to jam my ass in here first.

24 Likes

Itā€™s hard work and I have done those hours too but I can only assume you are not making $8.17 after taxes and can afford to eat. Ageism is certainly a thing in this business. I feel you there.

After 25 years of doing this I found that working for an IT company, in IT is a painful existence with a lot of hours and a lot or people who ā€œknow everythingā€. For the last decade I have worked in IT for non-IT companies and found that I am treated much better and appreciated for the value I bring to the company with my experience.

You really should not have to work until you get sick, hurt or burned out. Not always an option, I know. But it isnā€™t right.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve always been one to end things amicably, in fact I can count the amount of serious fights Iā€™ve been in on one finger. It happened in fifth grade and ended with 3 kids attempting to liquefy my head on concrete with their feet. Anywho, I strongly believe in doing everything possible to avoid violent physical contact even if that means tucking tail and running, but everyone should know how to handle themselves should push come to shove.

4 Likes

There is a saying in Japanese martial arts that you should and must defend against intention. The intention is actually the first assault of person. If someone raises their hand to you, you should already be defending yourselfā€¦running away or punching them first. You should not let that first punch land.

I agree, run should almost always be the first option. But if run is not an optionā€¦defend, attack, kick, bite, scream.

6 Likes

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.

3 Likes

This has not been my experience.

I got your back, but unfortunately Iā€™m kind of old and slow these days. Sorry. It still takes a while to knock me down, though! Youā€™ll probably have time to run get a shotgun, if you move quick.

3 Likes

gimme three steps

5 Likes

But still, willing little kittens run into the fire. The key is helping people take their great ideas and make a future for themselves.

While the money people wave options and high salaries, people get drawn in.

Unless they have an alternative.

2 Likes

thatā€™s one of the sad things about tech culture. so many people with energy and great ideas willing to work long hours because they love it.

out of that some people got super rich, and they thought: oh, that was my hard work; but, really it was gambling. they cash out with a skewed, libertarian view of the world; and, that view spreads.

other people begin to sweep in ā€“ basically wolf on wall street style ā€“ taking advantage of the system to extract wealth, and not actually build things.

itā€™s not clear to me that itā€™s as bad as the wall street investment culture, but the two are definitely linked.

6 Likes

Tech and venture are far less regulated.

8 Likes

[quote=ā€œjamesnsc, post:18, topic:74270, full:trueā€]It made it abundantly clear that itā€™s not what you know but who in determining your pay. Some people doing an easier/less skilled job get as much or more than 2x that of those in very challenging / demanding positions.

Age doesnā€™t seem to play a factor as there are those in their early 20ā€™s making low and high wages, but those making high donā€™t have anything over their counterparts beyond who they knew that got them the job at this company.

Itā€™s typical investment BS - suck out all the wealth, leave a shattered mess and move on to the next target you can ā€œinvest inā€ (extract wealth from). We went from having even growth of almost double digits, even through the recession, and now for the first time have back to back years of not making our numbers - not even close.

Those in the drivers seats got those seats because of who they know, not what they know. then they surround themselves by ā€œlike mindedā€ people - itā€™s like Lloyd & Harry only want people like them around. I had an executive, who has since departed, confide in me that he hides his technical intelligence (then rattled off the OSI layers, when was the last time you ran into a CEO that could do that?) because it intimidates his coworkers and that type of intimidation will put you on the outside.
[/quote]

Sounds like your workplace is a perfect microcosm of the wider economy, then.

6 Likes

Youā€™ll never see me no more.

1 Like

+1 for universal basic income. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

If soā€¦ brace yourself cuz weā€™re going down in flames.

I donā€™t know about you, but Iā€™m painting racing stripes on my basket - makes it go faster.

1 Like

Yep - as bad as Wall St.

Iā€™ve met ā€œseniorā€ people (seriously senior) from big name tech firms who, frankly, have a level of competence that makes the Peter Principle look like something to aspire to. Iā€™ve worked with them. Pushy, bossy - yes. Capable? Ha! Hahaha! Helpful? ZOMG donā€™t make me LMFAO!

2 Likes

Well, yes and no. I advocate transforming the capitalist model to assist anyone with a bright idea realise its potential. That would create a massive kind of market MMO which would ultimately bring the cost of ideas in line with the value they generate.

The trouble is now - getting access, for instance, to capital is a huge task in and of itself - but this is irrational in the context of bringing, say, a life-enhancing medication to the mass consumer. The financing system has built its funding structure in its own image.

So a lot of very good stuff doesnā€™t get funded.

3 Likes

Iā€™m giving you an awkward ā€œnot a likeā€ bump.

2 Likes

Well, good on you then. Sounds like you have your hands full, and are likely an awesome candidate for something bigger than what you do now.

2 Likes

Weirdly, finance people often end up saddled with running IT - and they donā€™t understand much about it, let alone have the capacity to handle it.

I feel your pain.

2 Likes