You can call me AI

‘A Brave New World of Software Piracy:’ Lawsuit Takes Aim at Scrapping Methods Underpinning Modern Artificial Intelligence

3 Likes
2 Likes

… “scrapping” or “scraping” :confused:

1 Like
2 Likes

Might be fun!

2 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

They should call it the Benjamin Button!

12 Likes
2 Likes

MSN Fired Its Human Journalists and Replaced Them With AI That Started Publishing Fake News About Mermaids and Bigfoot

5 Likes

I can tell you from typing programs in from magazines in the 70s and 80s that you really don’t want errors in your programming :wink:

2 Likes
3 Likes

So, the satisfying catharsis one can enjoy when answering that scam-caller with, “Fuck off”, will now be denied.

Looks like it’s going great…

7 Likes

Who had Car Wars on their sci-fi bingo card?

6 Likes

I keep on reading how GPT writes amazing stuff and articles in the papers saying professors would give the AI top marks in exams. I’ve tried GPT and it treats references like the graphic AIs treat text: they generate things that look like references but are not connected to the literature. The input data is not semantic metadata but plain text it seems. Chat GPT which everyone is raving about now, when I test it on actual questions, produces waffle. It’s appropriate sounding words strung together like someone trying to hide the fact that they can’t answer the question and then with a bullshit “in conclusion” stuck at the end.

Who the fuck is giving that shite top marks? I feel like I’m going crazy here because anytime I mention it everyone looks at me like I’m a cranky fuck. I’m just basing it on my tests over the last year or so but I would fail nearly all, and give a bare pass for the odd one.

5 Likes

I know a few writers (mostly copywriters) who are really intrigued by ChatGPT. I don’t see anything super special about it. But, it’s kinda handy for low level tasks like “give me three bullet points about Topic X”. Everything needs to be re-written and tinkered with, so it’s not perfect, but it’s the closest to being useful that I’ve seen so far.

Some of the platforms I’ve checked out are basically useless. Anything they create seems very low-level. It would take more work to edit it than it would to just write the damn thing myself.

3 Likes

The one that people are raving about at the moment is a newer version, which is why it suddenly popped back into the zeitgeist, but I am not looking at you like a crank - I agree completely.

All it is is a very large, very complicated mapping of words in the input text and their proximity to each other. That may result in interesting stuff that is fun to read, but it is essentially lorem ipsum text as far as meaning goes. It will seem to have meaning, but it all falls apart on closer examination.

To me the biggest danger from this is that it allows the very easy creation of tons of real looking but inaccurate content, which can then show up all over the place. That is a VERY bad thing and there is no way to prevent it would fact checking everything the AI spits out. Which makes it useless

6 Likes

CNN will use it.

1 Like

FOX has been using it for 26 years

4 Likes