You can't "boost" your immune system with "health food," nor would you want to

Is that what it looks like?

1 Like

Brilliant! I’ve checked, and I don’t seem to have gotten older at all this past minute, so I think I’m good.

I think what sick people like about vitamin C is that it’s a natural antihistamine, but the manufacturers don’t want to put that on the bottles because that would make it a “drug” and invoke a different kind of oversight from the FDA.

3 Likes

I assume that it is one of those high ethanol blends - probably less hazardous than whatever they used to put in children’s cough syrup before the 1990s…

2 Likes

You know antibiotics won’t do anything to a virus like cold or flu right? “Dosing” yourself does nothing but help breed more antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.

6 Likes

Huh, I had no idea. I always figured it was the placebo effect, plus a nostalgic flavor (at least the big chew-able ones) that reminds me of my mom.

1 Like

If they only came in Flintstones or Looney Tunes styles

3 Likes

A poor turn of phrase on my part. What I’m saying is that if I don’t supplement my “normal food” with vitamins and minerals, I end up with a debilitating respiratory infection every winter. As I must work for a living, my doctor inevitably prescribes antibiotics. I am attempting to resist using antibiotics entirely. Simple vitamins and minerals are doing the trick.

Mine too. Plus my skin and sinuses. My doctor has offered to cure me with the magic of “immuno-supressants”. Gee, thanks Doc, but… no.

For me, they were completely worth it. Yes, an increase in infections but was gut pain free. Unfortunately, my body’s got used to the drugs and it doesn’t work too well any more. Going for a top-up this week anyway. Should be putting me on to a different one soon.

My heavy Asthma disappeared when I started smoking immunosuppressant cigarettes. Terrible poison. Appeares as if having an effect not unlike chemo.
I have an overactive immune system.
I was born that way, with Neurodermitis, Dermatitis, Hyperactivity, tons of Allergies and shit (pun).

Colds and Flus pass me by, I rarely get sick.
My immune system kills everything with ease and attacks me.
I’m in constant significant pain, feeling feverish.
So in a way I’m always sick.
Fibromyalgia, “Chronic” Lyme*, Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, something of that sort.
After more than ten years of this set of specific symptoms the medicine men still don’t have a real name for my ailment. Or any way to do anything about it.
(With constant severe pain I’m always grouchy.
Life offers no real joys.
Unless I smoke hemp flowers. Then the pain, while not really decreasing, loses its urgency, moves into the background, and I can be and function as a human.
I try to stay high. Quality supply is tight and illegal where I reside.)

*Apparently and supposedly my immune system beat untreated Borreliosis at least twice. Maybe it forgot to quit fighting after it won, or “it knows” that the B. burgdorferi (corkscrew shaped bacteria that eat nerves) have just gone dormant and into hiding inside of nerve cells and so it attacks their hide-out, sensory endings, fine branchlike terminations of peripheral neurons. That’s one theory.

But my ancestors survived Leprosy, Black Death and all of the plagues with this sort of set-up, when others didn’t.
That is how I inherited it.
In my family, Morbus Parkinson’s is nearly as common as not having it.

Anyhow, boosting or agitating my immune system would be the last thing I’d want. And I generally agree with the gist of the article.

4 Likes

I’m sorry you have to deal with those issues and am glad you’ve found something to make your symptoms more manageable and tolerable. Have you ever looked into or read about LDN? It can do wonders for people with autoimmune issues, doesn’t help everyone, but for some it is a huge relief, 1mg seems to be the magic dose number, 4.5mg which some doctors recommend is too high. LDN blocks certain receptors and when the body clears them it has a rebound effect which is where the immune correcting action happens, so it isn’t the LDN that helps directly, it is your bodies own response after it clears it metabolically that helps. Kinda cool.

EXACTLY. You don’t want to boost your immune system. I also deal with autoimmune issues and don’t want to boost my immune system. Most people with autoimmune issues knows to avoid immune boosting supplements because they do indeed work contrary to the claims in the article.

The article unfortunately doesn’t address people with autoimmune issues and why they need to be careful with such supplements, but then again it claims that all such supplements don’t work anyway, despite the numerous clinical trials on many of them. For regular folks without immune issues boosting their immune system nutritionally doesn’t cause the body to attack itself.

Also even for people with autoimmune issues certain immune “boosting” supplements do help, like zinc, because they work in a totally different way and don’t over excite the immune system, rather interfere with viral reproduction, which puts a lower load on your overactive immune system and allows it to calm down. As you know when you have autoimmune issues, they flare up when your body is actively fighting off anything, the harder it is fighting the bigger the flareup, which is why vitamin c, zinc, l-lysine, and the b vitamins are so crucial.

Some immune “boosters” are also immune-regulators and can help with people with autoimmune issues without overexciting the immune system, they can actually help restore balance to the immune function. Depends on which substance we are discussing and how it works. They really can’t be all grouped into one lump and written off like the articles author did.

The article is about 90% garbage and the author of the article doesn’t even understand the studies he quotes. It is pretty bad. He could at least have studied the subject, or talked to some experts directly.

Anyway, best of luck in your healing journey. I hope you are able to find some relief, and that your medicine of choice becomes legal wherever you live soon. All the best.

1 Like

For what it’s worth – when my dad was a kid, he was terribly allergic to poison ivy. My (crazy) grandpa made him eat a handful of poison ivy leaves, and he nearly died. But when he recovered, he was completely immune to poison ivy, and can walk through patches of it like it’s any other plant.

1 Like

good thing he wasn’t allergic to BEES! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Holy Jesus that’s nuts.

I am immune to Poison Ivy- though (and I’m now very thankful for this) I didn’t have to eat any.

My mother, on the other hand, gets a Poison Ivy-like rash from strawberries- the leaves or the fruit. She continues to eat them (because she’s stubborn like that) but her allergy continues…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.