Your Android unlock pattern sucks as much as your password did

Setting aside guessability and social/psychological engineering, on most Android phones, the swipe password is to hit 5 of 9 dots. You can’t double up on the dots you hit. So you have a probability of 9 nCr 5 = 126 total combinations, a lot of which are a little illogical to the human mind in shape and order anyway. And what’s hilarious is, with the 9 dot grid, the entropy tops out at 9 nCr 5, if you add more dots to hit, the number of combinations decreases again. If you could double up dots, then we’d be getting somewhere, since permutations (9 nPr 5 = 15120)

Calling these unlock patterns a security feature is like calling bathroom pinhole locks security features. It’s for privacy and assumes that nobody’s going to get ahold of your phone long enough to try more than a few attempts to unlock it.

A few pretty graphs to show the stupidity of trusting unlock patterns just from a purely mathematical perspective. X axis is number of dots, y axis in the first graph is number of Combinations (can’t double up the dots) in the second graph y axis is Permutations (can double up dots.)

f(x) = 9 nCr x

f(x) = 9 nPr x

2 Likes

My phone security is “keep it in my pocket.”

2 Likes

This is why i would love to have an unlock screen that supports more nodes, being able to double up on already used nodes, and supporting multiple swipe patterns if a person would desire such a thing. Multiple patterns would make it possible to smudge off previous entries if done correctly. I presume this could be done in a 3rd party app i suppose, but i think these features need to be an option in the phone’s OS should a person want more granular settings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.