ZAP! POW! Comics are for kids again

As a full blown bee-nerd I am very happy that Clan Apis is recommended here.

As an illustrator I approve this definition of “real literature” :

:smile:

My gateway was “Lucky Luke”, “Gaston” and “Spirou” and those are still great comics for kids (I know that just by looking how they destroy it in my public library), for more contemporary comics I advise “Anna & Froga”, recentlly translated by Drawn & Quarterly.

1 Like

That was my first series, too.

1 Like

My recollection of Asterix in Helvetia is that they centre on melted cheese.

2 Likes

No “Hilda and the Bird Parade”? Go home Boing Boing, you are drunk.

We used the “reading by frustration” method on our oldest. He liked playing various video games (The Incredible Machine, various roleplaying games), but they of course required reading text every so often. We started him off in our lap, then him playing in the same room while we did work, and then bit-by-bit got slower to walk over to his machine to read the text he needed to know.

It took only a week or two for his impatience over having to wait a whole 2 minutes to win out and for him to start reading. And since the names/words weren’t always recognizable, he also had to learn how to sound out words (which we’d been going over for a while) that he hadn’t seen before.

The younger had a far higher patience level, so he learned through Calvin and Hobbes, although there’s some pretty complicated themes in quite a few of them…

1 Like

The only comics that really caught my interest were horror.

2 Likes

When I was a kid, I desperately wanted the EC comics, but they weren’t reprinted yet. A friend turned me on to DCs horror/scifi anthologies such as “Tales of the Unexpected” et al and sold to me a giant box of them for $10. Those were great fun.

2 Likes

I used to read a lot of comics at the old G.C. Murphy’s Five and Dime (the “5 & 10”), a niche now filled by the smaller Dollar Stores.

I recall a wire rack of comics attached to the wall back in the pet area. I think I also remember goldfish for sale close by.

1 Like

Dude, those weren’t reprints, man; those were like flashbacks!

Is that why your eldest now says, “All your base are belong to us”? :wink:

1 Like

100 best English-language novels published since 1923 according to TIME magazine includes Watchmen.

1 Like

I enjoyed “Young Lust” comics when I was in college, and I wish I’d had them when I was 13!

2 Likes

Do. not. remind. me. of. the. joy. of. Internet. Memes.

:-). Mostly.

There are few things in the world that require more stamina than not crushing the joy of your 6-old desperate to share the cleverness of this week’s Internet meme.

Of course, by the time he was old enough to see through my act and realize that my sense of humour had atrophied so badly that I didn’t think that “I can has cheezeburger?” was the height of cleverness, he was also old enough to use memes as strategic weaponry by arming his little brother with the meme of the week.

The 5,723rd time my youngest regaled me with “all toasters toast toast”, I was ready to try and stuff my oldest into a toaster. However, he was too big, and he kept reminding me “Remember the sunk costs, Dad! Remember the sunk costs!”

3 Likes

I used to spend a lot of time at my older cousins’ house, and they had a lot of Mad magazines.

I saw an issue of Highlights at the doctors office a couple months ago, and Goofus is still a dick!

2 Likes

Sounds like some top parenting. Bravo!

1 Like

I’ve read a good number of the listed books and am putting the rest on my list of ones to read. Off the top of my head the only other recommendation I would make, other than anything by Ben Hatke :), is the Mal and Chad books by Stephen McCranie, which follow the adventures of an inventive boy and his talking dog as he tries to impress his elementary school crush. The stories are very well constructed with lots of fun, peril, and adventure.

It was Peanuts for me. Too much Peanuts. Do not encourage children to overdose on Peanuts; let them live their happy lives for a little while longer in ignorance of existential despair. (cf. http://3eanuts.com/ .)

We didn’t have much else around other than Tintin and Asterix, but I’m sure lots of folks didn’t have it nearly so good.

1 Like

Those early Peanuts cartoons really were full of weird dark existentialism.

The really important thing about kids reading comic books is that they will read them over and over again. That’s good practice before you move on to longer text-based reading.