Zero: the number of security experts Ted Koppel consulted for his hysterical book about cyberwar

We need DNA scanners/printers at every hospital and every doctor office. To rapidly identify the threats, natural or not, and generate a tailored vaccine or inhibiting RNA the same hour. These have to go hand in hand; while it will make creation of artificial pathogens easier, it will also allow rapid countermeasures - and fast pathogens are self-limiting in spreading and slow ones give enough time to react.

And no water, no sewage pumping, in many cases no transportation and limited medical care. Electricity is quite an important resource these days. We need distributed grid that can fall apart to self-sufficient little islands and then reassemble at will, and fail gracefully instead of going down in blackout cascades.

1 Like

Mmm… Cold, creamy bucket soup. :smile:

Or we could do what all our grandparents used to do to prepare for, I dunno, black outs caused by snow or rain.

When the hacker apocalypse comes, you’re all invited over to my place!

6 Likes

Yay hackpocalypse!

…tempting, so tempting…

3 Likes

i agree, well once the people in those roles have some clue as to that sort of thing. right now most doctors and hospital staff were trained pre this technology and don’t really have a strong grasp of genetics. so maybe this will have to go hand in hand with training. it is still practically a bit off but not that far.

Yeah I get that. Most hospitals have at least 48 hours of diesel generator backup. My point is that a few days of darkness, while extremely inconvenient, isn’t enough to plunge us back into a dark age. It is easily to recover from.

The machines can be remotely operated. The doc’s role can be reduced to putting a sample in and taking a vial out.

Easy-ish, I’d say. Can be ugly around the edges.

How about make it a party? hackpocapalooza at @shaddack’s place!

1 Like

If you can cope with heaps of old electronics intended for repair, modding or salvaging parts One Day, and a lousy old carpet full of metal swarf (scheduled to be replaced with a more fitting floor covering but it keeps getting postponed, I can live with it easier than without equipment upgrades), why not? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

oh oops, it was @japhroaig who was holding the party, and here I invited everyone to @shaddack’s house…lol. now i’m torn…@japhroaig’s place will have better food, but @shaddack’s will have more parts for building robots. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

We should build a shared bunker (or, a couple bunkers on spokes around a central bunker-hub).

Why not have it all?

3 Likes

That is the plan! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He was at an orgy once and Winn Schwartau goosed him with the HERF gun. Does that count?

1 Like

“Ted Koppel is a boppel.”
— Bill the Cat

3 Likes

Uhh. Hello? What am I? Chopped liver?

2 Likes

you are welcome to join the bunker complex, but you’ll have to come up with a better bunker then the chopped liver bunker…maybe the awesome chili powder bunker?

3 Likes

The one where any intruders quickly get incapacitated and reveal themselves by loud sneezing?

3 Likes

That’s close.

4 Likes

Great. Now I want waffles.

4 Likes

Shame. I thought Ted was one of the few talking heads that had a clue.

There is one evil mastermind that CAN take out the grid in one fell swoop and he (it?) is just waiting, biding his (its?) time, because why hurry? They aren’t actually going anywhere, now are they? Hehe. Ted Koppel should get on this toot sweet. I have hint for him: the mastermind’s nickname is: ‘Sol’. Sssh.

The most hilarious part of his interview on CNN was the comment that natural gas doesn’t flow when the electricity goes out! I live in Canada and have natural gas generators for both my properties, and the power goes out regularly. Funny thing, the generator starts just fine! Natural gas comes out of the ground under its own extremely high pressure, so unless somehow one of the control valves that regulate the pressure manages to close, I am safe!

1 Like