A friend of mine created a beautiful watch for the blind (+Kickstarter)

A friend of mine created this watch for both blind and sighted users. I think it’s really good looking, and also thought it was quite Happy Mutant-ish.

The “hands” are trapped ball bearings, held in place by magnets. You can push them out of place and they’ll roll freely, but will quickly snap back into place. Old-style touch-watches for the blind usually require directly touching the hands, which tends to move them out of alignment. (Kind of like the observer problem in quantum mechanics…)

I also like that it’s a great example of “universal design” – something that would be wearable and useful for everyone, not just one group of people.

They’re running a Kickstarter campaign, and now that they’ve blown far past their goals I can finally feel like I can post this here without it looking like I’m trying to get their campaign funded.

(Note: the first-half of the main video on the page is mostly a long story about the watch’s namesake… The watch content starts at about 3:40)

2 Likes

I’ve never worn a watch on a regular basis but I quite like this design. It’s beautiful. It looks fantastic and functional. I’m really happy their kickstarter is successful!

This topic was automatically closed after 1302 days. New replies are no longer allowed.