A landscape of salt

[Permalink]

2 Likes

That must be a deeply uncomfortable environment. Unless the dust control is downright heroic, just breathing probably feels like huffing seawater in fairly short order.

1 Like

Ever bake a potato on a bed of rock salt? The salt pulls out a lot of moisture, making a light, flaky potato. So it’s more like huffing dry seawater.

2 Likes

Speaking as a vegetarian of many decades I’m going to sound crazy mentioning this, but I used to cook everything…rock salt is one of the finest ways to cook a fish. Lay down a layer of the salt, then the fish, then more salt to cover, and bake in an oven. What it does for potatoes, it does for the fish too.

1 Like

The spice must flow.

3 Likes

Have you tried Canarian potatoes? You boil them in water with a lot of salt, then discard most of the water and keep cooking with a foil lid over the pan until the water evaporates and you get wrinkly skins and a thin crust of salt on the outside (or you can boil them, then bake them). They’re great with the traditional chili and coriander sauces (mojo picón and mojo verde).

5 Likes

I’ve visited these a few times (same state, different sites). You probably want to wear sunglasses, but other than that it’s like sand dunes that smell of the ocean. Otherworldly but kind of nice.

3 Likes

Just think of the ink she saves when printing these for sale or exhibition.

6 Likes

Will kosher salt work? Or does it have to be the very large grain rock salt?

1 Like

Some art has to be taken with a grain of salt.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.