Ad-hoc museums of a failing utopia: photos of Soviet shop-windows

I think what’s cynical is the assumption that the franchise does not matter.

Funny, Glenn Greenwald started in 2007 with nothing but a Blogger account and a lot of unpopular opinions, and now he’s arguably the most influential journalist in the world.

Excuse me? Are you saying the US is “disappearing” writers? Citation needed, please.

What I’ve argued throughout this entire thread is that the USSR was objectively worse than the United States. An easy way to determine that is through their body count. The USSR will always be higher, because they’ve simply slaughtered more people.

Starting a corporation requires some paperwork and, like, fifty bucks.

This is a common misunderstanding. Corporations aren’t people, they are made up of people, all of whom do not lose their First Amendment protections just because they’re organized in a certain way.

The New York Times is a corporation with First Amendment rights. So is the ACLU, Amnesty International, the AFL-CIO, and others.

In fact, the Sierra Club was fined $28K by the Federal Election Commission in 2004 for the heinous crime of publishing a pamphlet comparing various candidates’ environmental records. This is the very scary activity that was legalized by the decision in Citizens United.

So you are in favor of censorship. Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, the criticism you leveled against Hillary: The Movie (the film at the heart of Citizens United) could equally apply to Fahrenheit 9/11, which came out before the 2004 election.

Should the government have forced Michael Moore to wait until after the election as well?

It’s interesting, I’ve never met someone who didn’t believe in free speech. What other forms of expression should the government censor?

No wonder you like the Soviet Union! :wink: