All Quiet on the Martian Front

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Telsa. :cry:

Lovely pictures. Clever and intriguing setting. I’d probably enjoy playing this, but I doubt I’d invest the time nowadays. It’s not you, it’s me.

2 Likes

So considering the designer’s history, are they going to follow the Games Workshop business model of releasing a game with a bunch of “vanillillatruppen” in plastic and then bring out a series of increasingly powerful “slithering hissers” and “hissing slitherers” in lead (well pewter)? Because in the end, it’s the arms race that costs you…

This is kind of game that makes me wish I were a ten year-old boy again. Luckily I now have a boy of my own, I just have to wait 8 years before I can justify buying this for him. Maybe thats a good thing though - at nearly $300 to get started, I’m going to need that time to save up! Or maybe I’ll just buy a 3D printer instead and start printing my own pieces… That’s probably a smarter investment anyway.

Gareth; you’ve got a bad link in there and you should put in more links to places to buy the game such as Architects of War.

2 Likes

Looks interesting!
Can you also play as german or british troops? I want to don my Pickelhaube, get to the Zeppelin and fry some Marsianer! FĂźr Gott, Kaiser und Erdenball, Hussah! :smile:

1 Like

What a lovely rules book, and high quality minis!

I played the old “Star Guard” SF space-opera skirmish game in the late 70s. Mimeographed rules pamphlet, clunky-by-today’s-standard lead soldiers from nearly a dozen races.

I wish I knew what to do with them all. So hard to find people to play that kind of thing.

2 Likes

Ahh, sweet memories…

4 Likes

I love the idea of this game – would love to play it – but don’t have enough time as it is to play the games I already own.

What I do have – in my parent’s attic – is a beautiful HO train layout begging for a Martian invasion. And that I can arrange. I wonder how long until he’ll notice.

5 Likes

That was a bad tag format. It actually did link to Architects of War. Link has been fixed. Thanks.

There ARE already British troops: The BEF, British Expeditionary Force. I did hear someone mention German forces, but I don’t know if that’s just a rumor, or a wish. Zeppelins would be great! Players are already incorporating biplane models and drafting their own house rules for use in the game.

2 Likes

Rick and Alessio haven’t worked at GW for years, as far as I know. And the fact that they’re willing to do work for tiny companies like Alien Dungeon suggests to me that they ain’t in it primarily for the money.

1 Like

How many games/fictions/adaptations have been set up as sequels to the original The War of the Worlds? I know there was a part-CG/part-animated movie, I think I recall a TV series, probably at least one novel…

For those who want to get some idea of gameplaying AQMF, here’s an official, detailed battle report with a 1300 point Martian and 1325 pt human (US) army. http://www.architectsofwar.com/BattleReports/BattleReportv2.pdf

3 Likes

Alessio has done a couple of sets of rules for Mantic (the Other Nottingham Based Games Company).

1 Like

Yeah, one of the games he’s done for Mantic is Kings of War, a fantasy mass battle game that looks really interesting to me. I’m not big on fantasy wargames and never had any interest in Warhammer Fantasy, but I find myself being drawn to KoW. There are some fascinating game mechanics in it. He’s also done Loka for them which is a kind of more environmentally-rich chess where you choose your army, based on a point total, and there are terrain effects like a wargame. You can also have four players/armies in two teams. Cool stuff.

1 Like

Most practically, any shops selling such models frequently operate matchmaking mechanisms in order to provide their customers with suitable justification for buying more of them. This is less useful if there simply aren’t any in your area, or if the ones there are particularly mercenary(aside from being unlikely to include game systems that they don’t sell, some GW locations have been known to show you the door if your army includes enough 3rd-party bits to attract notice).

On the ‘heroic effort, never mind the fact that QR codes printed on bits of cardboard could then work almost as well’ front, a remote multiplayer system with a video projector above the table projecting the other players’ units and movement/firing range markers, flame and blast templates, and such like, and a video camera to capture and report your movement of your units would be pretty cool and increasingly practical.

Machine vision good enough to automatically distinguish ‘grunt trooper’ from ‘hardened grunt trooper’ is unlikely to be available at anything approaching reasonable cost(CPU time is comparatively cheap; but genuinely good cameras still aren’t); but even fairly horrible webcams are enough to handle tracking a bunch of shapes moving against a field of adequately different color, which would be enough to handle movement after you initially tell the system what each unit is.

The downside of such a system, of course, is that once you’ve made the presence of your opponents figurines irrelevant, the presence of your own really requires an enjoyment of painting things, or you might as well just 3d render your own army as well.

At HO scale, a 4x5 foot table is practically a knife fight(an HO mile being just over 60 feet). It will be interesting to see how they handle the demand for biplanes and other additions to the human arsenal that would seem to either require substantial ahistorical tweaking(and the sort that involves substantial cuts, not the fun kind where Tesla and friends can be invoked), or a move to much larger scaled battlefields (while preserving the delicate balance between martian technological superiority and the human side actually having a chance).

A ~1914 biplane would be little more than spitting at the martians in terms of firepower; but likely had a top speed of just over 100mph. At HO scale, one would cross from the rear of the human line to the rear of the martian line in under three (real time) seconds, probably crossing merrily back and forth several times during a ‘turn’.

You also have artillery: even hardware like the 2-inch medium mortar, that was superseded before WWI ended had ranges of some hundreds of yards, with still-reasonably-mobile field guns like the QF 13 pounder capable of over 5,000 yards.

It makes you wonder how a malevolent alien with markedly superior technology; but a knowledge of ballistics atrophied by access to ray weapons, an atmosphere less than 1% of that of earth’s, and relatively feeble gravity would fare in an artillery duel… Their advanced armor presumably implies superior metallurgy; but their War of Worlds tactics suggest no particular affinity for artillery support and they’d certainly have to redesign at least the ordnance and gunnery tables if they plan on using any on a planet with an actual atmosphere and gravity.

Similar questions might actually come up with aircraft: If they are invading earth, they obviously know something about flight; but (according to the delightfully insane folks behind X-Plane) any aircraft that works on mars isn’t going to cut it on earth, and vice versa, unless it is based on substantially different principles than any conventional winged aircraft). So, do the martians actually have air power, or do they know how to do rocketry in a vacuum; but have essentially nothing usable in the presence of nontrivial atmospheric lift and drag, and gravity?

Lest I be misunderstood, I don’t want to be seen as trashing the game(the aesthetics of the concept alone are pure genius); but I suspect that there may have been reasons other than lack of time that kept biplanes out of the release, and some interesting design decisions that will have to be made, ideally without excessive violence to suspension of disbelief about the human technology or to H.G. Wells’ martians, if things that stress the scale are to be added.

1 Like

And of course that’s why most miniatures wargames have a "ground scale"that is different from the “figure scale” The aestetics are better when the figures are larger, but it is difficult to paint enough figures for a medium-large battle (if you’re doing ancients or Napoleonic age of gunpowder periods) or realistic ranges if you’re doing modern. So with 15mm figures (approximately 1/100) you might say that each cm on the table represents 100 yards and each figure represents an entire squad of soldiers. That’s why I preferred Space Marine to WH40K,…the smaller figures meant that the rang of the figures was something more than a few time their height. ISTR playing a 25mm Napoleonic game where the GM had a miniature of a child run out of a building (because he had one) and she got shot. “He shot a little girl!” “No, each figure represents 40 people, he shot an entire kindergarten class.”

It’s a cheerful thing that at least one person has had all their things from the kickstarter, and while the game does look like excellent fun, I’ve been waiting for more than seven months for the second shipment and I’ve all but given up on it.

[quote=“fuzzyfungus, post:17, topic:50081”]
At HO scale, …[/quote]
Flames of War is at this same scale, and uses tables roughly the same size. Given that
a) FoW is set 40-odd years after the time frame of AQMF, and
b) there were significant advances in weapons technology and ranges in that time, and
c) FoW is wildly popular,
presumably the range/size/scale issue is at least somewhat solveable.

1 Like