Are you a member of The Oregon Trail Generation, the last before mainstream social media?

Apple IIes with color?? no No NO. If it wasn’t on teletype paper, dribbling down your 300 baud modem from the Gods of MECC it wasn’t Oregon Trail. Graphics? Kiss my butt.

2 Likes

I wonder if the people who came of age before the “Brownie” camera (which really kicked off personal photography as opposed to going to a professional photographer for a portrait), considered themselves lucky that their every event wasn’t documented on film…

1 Like

Beyond all of the bullshit generalizations, this person seems clueless about the history of personal computers. Oregon trail, for instance, was developed in the 1970s and was playable on the Applie ][ series of computers in the late 1970s and early 1980s. So me being born in the early 1970s meant that I too had pretty much everything this person describes but apparently was before this generation.

But this could be a numbers thing too.

I also think that there is plenty of things marketed at us, but it’s often popular culture aimed at stirring up our nostalgia or at times aimed at our children.

And of course, the whole idea of generations are based on consumerism anyway. Sure, events and things we remember are part of it too, but really, we have youth generations like this because the Boomers were just such a huge group, with an inordinate amount of spending power compared to previous groups, that they became a focus of the culture industries… now we’re all sort of stuck in that loop.

2 Likes

Funny how specific these can be. I “scored” very low in that even though I was born in the tail end of 1982 (mostly not having a pager, not knowing who what’s her face was, being aware of New Kids on The Block, and the Logo turtle). But then again, that’s in Brazil, so I guess I’d have to look for the more localized clickbait nostalgia showroom for accuracy.

Same here, except we had crappy Nimbuses too. My secondary school also had a few Ataris and Amigas in the music rooms.

Yeah, we had those at secondary school. And then a few Mac Classics by the time I got to my GCSE/A-level school.

STs? For the MIDI port?

I probably would have enjoyed playing this, had I known about it at the time.

I played Oregon Trail once or twice, but never so much that it became iconic.

Nonsense, I count myself as a member of the Turtle/Logo generation and beep boop I refute your argument because CGA will never die and you’ll get my Nintendo lightblaster when you drag it from my cold dead hands etc etc [blather,ramble]

I had a recent glance at the stats. Population of Gen X is the smallest since 1943, with Gen X population reaching the smallest population (as percentage of people) were born in 1974, almost smack dab in the middle of Gen X. There is an uncanny valley, with a canyon on both sides of Gen X.
One a side note, we will be the first generation to live in insane abundance if we can manage to keep social security alive through this long tail burden of the dying Baby Boomers. Provided we can keep Millenials in our good graces, we should retire with a surplus of disposable income.

5 Likes

If number 23 were “You look to Buzzfeed listicles to help define your childhood experience”, we would have a Buzzfeed representation of a fractal.

1 Like

Yeah, I remember they had keyboards plugged in via MIDI. I don’t remember there being any Macs there though, they were mostly windows 2/3.0/3.1 PCs.

Eat the otter! I am the mighty Mackinaw!!!

2 Likes

1 Like

TV is far better now. Don’t concentrate on the worst tv has to offer

OMG, Crystal quest, I loved that game!

2 Likes

Remember, the decade that was lost.

3 Likes

this was kind of my thinking, too. i think millennials were too young to experience this game, unless they were playing it when it was really old and/or ported to subsequent technology. i remember playing it on the apple II, and this must’ve been the early 1980s. any millennials around then were too young to play it.

i like the way you think. i’m in.

1 Like

What do you call the generation that had to toggle it in from the row of 16 switches on the front panel?

You had 1's? We had to use the letter 'l'!

mumble mumble twisty passages mumble …

3 Likes