Author Gabriel García Márquez, 1927-2014

[Permalink]

Oh no. One of my favourite authors - ‘Love in the time of cholera’ one of my most-loved books. Sad.

2 Likes

these two comments at the NYT site summed up my thoughts perfectly:

a o sultan:
“Here’s to dreaming dreams of iridescent butterflies. May the monarchs rise from the wet leaves of mourning as the passing of a brilliant light leaves us to wonder where the time goes. Garcia-Marquez painted my young brain with word webs and i have been forever changed and eternally grateful for the wonder he shared.”

Lou H:
“100 years is the best written work I have ever read. Even now I can remember back to the distant autumn when I first discovered Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I enjoy his other novels and works but there is nothing like A Hundred Years of Solitude. From the first paragraph it transports you.”

“100 Years” blew me away when i first read it in my 20s. it’s still such a hypnotic, swirling dream of a book to me. “Love in the Time of Cholera” is like a companion piece to “100 Years” for me – his lyrical, magical way with words and phrases is like none other to me. i am so sad to hear he is gone.

3 Likes

"Many years later, in front of the firing squad, colonel Aureliano Buendía would remember that distant afternoon his father took him to see ice.”

What a fantastic book. I read this in my late teens and it it had such a profound affect on me.

2 Likes

My first exposure to Marquez was his short story A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings, which I loved. That was followed by a literature class in which we read No One Writes To The Colonel.

After we’d read it the professor started the class by saying, “I know you found this novella boring…” I looked around wondering who he was talking about. Not much happened, but I found it sad and lovely, and that was enough.

Years later I’d be lucky enough to work with a really nice man from Colombia, and we talked about Marquez a lot. He was amazed by how much I’d read. “How do you know so many of his books?” he asked once. I said, “Because he’s such a wonderful writer!” And that was enough.

2 Likes

Wonderful novelist, horrible human being.

Care to expand on that?

He was a friend of the Castro dictatorship.

Okay. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.