Battleship - awful game with sexist illustration

I’m just curious, but do you live near any bridges?

1 Like

only post-modernism can imagine never-sexism

1 Like

Imagining it is easy. Getting there is the challenge. I’m just hoping it doesn’t take another 5000 years of civilization.

1 Like

This one here is pretty close. Why do you ask?

(nifty photo by Jeremiah Bostwick)

1 Like

Ah. Ha ha. No, I do not live underneath.

1 Like

Centrum

Ellen vs women pens

National Literacy range enhancer (apparently)

Nerf’s “Heartbreaker Bow” - complete with darts that look like tampon packaging

Cleaning? Pfft - it’s girl’s stuff

But, I’m a guy… can’t I join in? NO! GIRLS ONLY

Science is surely safe from this… after all, it’s real chemistry!!

What is this i don’t even

13 Likes

If it close dis week, I know nuttin’ bout it. I am not a bully.

Actually, I remember a couple of other boardgames we used to play as a family (Waddington’s ones, natch)

Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs was pretty naff, but I fondly remember Escape from Atlantis.

I was going to like your post, but that shave the baby doll is rather creepy.

4 Likes

Just as a note: Escape from Atlantis is still available in a slightly modified form under the name Survive!

(Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs, however, is long gone.)

Does Cards Against Humanity count?

Saw this today…

2 Likes

All sexism is ultimately negative for both sexes.

4 Likes

What’s strange is that I don’t see the sexism in the jello commercial. Sure it’s picturing a housewife, but housewives are real and at least it is acknowledging that there is real work to be done. Women who work in the home were the target demographic there, though there’s no reason a man couldn’t make jello (or be working at home). I actually kind of like the animation style.

1 Like

Oof. So much for King Conan. I mean, it’s on his plate, but he’d better get his ass back to Gold’s but quick.

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: Let’s talk about Asterisks!

I always played battleship with a grid on paper as a kid. When I played the pen & paper version with my daughter
my wife was quite surprised at the version, but it is a good way for kids to understand the idea of coordinates on a grid.
The strategy is minimal.

1 Like

The problem is not so much that you see a woman in this particular add making jello and being a house wife. As you said, there are woman who chose to do that and that is very much up to them. The problem is that we almost exclusively, across advertising as a whole, see people happily engaging in their respective gender rolls. How often do you see adds where men are moping the floor, making dinner for the family or cleaning the toilet? Not often. Imagery is very powerful and forms how we see our selves within our culture and how we feel we need to pursue our futures.

1 Like

Hasbro’s 2008 reboot of Risk comes to mind:

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2008/11/23/the-new-risk-for-men-only/

Yehuda