Book discussion - The Quarry - Chapter 6

YES! I think coke is tied conceptually to the yuppies of the 80s.

1 Like

I can definitely say it wasn’t me. Still, looking on the bright side, at least there’s no pressure on the choice for the next one. :smile:

2 Likes

It was @aeon @miasm’s suggestion.

To be fair, lots of people voted for it. I wanted to read it. I just didn’t like it. And if I’d bothered reading anything about it other than just going by author, I might have not voted for it. C’est la vie. It was just a few days of reading, and I’ve read worse.

And you - you should be captaining a spaceship around Charybdis instead of reading this. You had your chance.

5 Likes

Nah, it’s good. I’ve got commitment issues when it comes to RPGs. :smile:

1 Like

Ah yes. I hated that conversation so much I skimmed a lot of it.

BTW, on that topic, this article from The Atlantic is excellent: The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous - The Atlantic

(spoiler: neither Ali nor Hol is right)

3 Likes

Yeah, that was my joke: most of us did vote for it, after all. But I do really like discussing chapter-by-chapter, discovering the story together. That wouldn’t work so well with a book some of us had read before, and so the choice is gonna be a kind of crapshoot when none of us have read the book.

Sometimes, the bear eats you, after all. But I love the way this discussion has unfolded, and I personally wouldn’t change a thing. I hope next time we again choose a book none of us has read, and I hope we read it the same way too, though I wouldn’t object to quickening the pace by discussing twice a week rather than once. But for myself, this pace has served my needs perfectly, but we also talk all week long about other things, too.

6 Likes

I think we’ve discovered the real reason for the voting setup: it’s a way to ensure that no one can claim they didn’t vote for the selection after the fact!

6 Likes

4 Likes

Pat Cadigan on talking to people with cancer (like herself), including some bits about Banks.

As far as the whole “we’re seeing these people through Kit’s problematic eyes” thing, I’m finding that problematic. It excuses some character issues, but I’m not really seeing it evident enough to imply authorial intent. I think we’re Rorschach-blotting, trying to make the writing better than it is.

3 Likes

This is a tangent but I think Family Plot is great. It’s just that it’s an outright comedy, while his other films aren’t - though they are almost all deeply, and darkly, comic, which is essential to his work.

I think it also helps to consider it in context - it’s partly a satire of other types of crime movies and TV that came out in the late 60s and early 70s (like Columbo, which I do love). Obviously not entirely successful and not as objectively “good” as Hitchcock’s masterworks, but thoroughly enjoyable.

I suppose if I hadn’t seen it only after seeing almost all of his other stuff first I might have felt differently about it - reminiscent perhaps of Cory Doctorow’s review of The Quarry - but then not really, because Hitchcock’s films don’t really build on each other, they are great in a stand-alone way (and if someone’s never seen any of them, they can start almost anywhere and pretty much any of them will potentially get you hooked - I think even if you start with Family Plot).

my roommate and I are watching Columbo right now! slow tv is best tv.

was it explained/strongly alluded to why Kit rappelled into the quarry? did I miss it or was it left intentionally unexplained? he saw some stuff that turned out to be bones and he saw some more but wasn’t sure if it was bones or not–OK, got that–but why was he so fired up to investigate in such a risky, un-Kit-like way? and gee, how convenient that Guy had that rope in the garage because reasons.

the only good part was the verbal chess with Ali and Kit. good as in good-compared-to-the-low-bar-this-book-has-set, not necessarily objectively good : /

The book is not in front of me now, but it’s explained either by the end of the chapter or soon into the next one.

1 Like

The bones do not turn out to be those of his unknown mother.

Which was vastly disappointing to me.

4 Likes

I was shocked when they turned out to be those of Lord Lucan. Good plot twist. And then chucking Shergar in there too. Nice touch.

2 Likes

Gosh, and I thought I was dark. Never even occurred to me.

Really? Mom’s never been seen; house on the edge of a quarry; creepy, asshole-dad who used to drive around in a hearse; kid spots bones. These things don’t add up for anybody else?

Just call me Mr. GrimDark, I guess.

7 Likes

Kinda wishing you’d written this book now.

4 Likes

Heck, no - in my hands the next door neighbor would turn out to be Mad Maxine, an old crotchety hard-driving transvestite with a thing for Angora. And then proceed to go even further off the rails, as Maxine and Heidi open up a nightclub (La Cage au TonnerredĂ´me) to provide for Kit.

2 Likes

[quote=“OtherMichael, post:36, topic:54020”]
Just call me Mr. GrimDark, I guess.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Isn’t that the Finnish Olympic Luge team?

6 Likes