Boy, 9, creates library in his front yard. City, stupid, shuts it down

It seems to me the correct response would be to make a determined effort to out the people who reported on the kid. Then you can begin a campaign of public shaming. A public example needs to be made of the type of people who complain about this sort of thing. Otherwise, they will keep hiding in their homes doing what they can to make everyone as small and miserable as they are.
We need to publicly hold people accountable for their actions.

4 Likes

So does that make mailboxes illegal?

3 Likes

Detached garage would need a permit. Tool sheds and maybe dog houses depending on whether they are movable, or if you want to lay a foundation and make them permanent fixtures/appurtanences.

If his library was stocked with Bibles, the city would probably give him money to make the library bigger.

1 Like

Just sent them all an email.

1 Like

I believe they have either those slots in the door, or the small boxes actually attached to the house.

[quote=“dacree, post:42, topic:34896”]
Then you can begin a campaign of public shaming. A public example needs to be made of the type of people who complain about this sort of thing.[/quote]

So because someone disagrees with you, you feel the need to try to publicly humiliate them?

Look this isn’t some nefarious conspiracy. It’s a question of taste and preference and what one considers tacky or not. EVERYONE has a threshold. You may be fine with a min-library, but start adding other crap like 6 garden gnomes, a Chevy on blocks in the front yard, an old fridge on the porch, and a sofa housing a family of raccoons and at some point you’re going to be repulsed.

Another thing, it’s not like this kid’s mini-library is actually providing a needed service. This isn’t some poor neighborhood where people aren’t exposed to/have access to books. No one there has an issue ordering any book they want on Amazon. They have a nice library, and it being a small town, it’s not far away from anyone. While I get the concept of a mini-library is kinda neat, really, no one’s life is being directly effected negatively here.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure whatever enlightened part of the world you live in, doesn’t have stupid codes and stupid people enforcing them. And once again, BoingBoing (your comment and all the people who like it) have once again indulged in “LOL hicks” classist bullcrap.

"He says the birds are on the dole!’’

1 Like

That just makes it worse. Leawood residents may be interested to know that in my neighbourhood in Toronto (considered “affluent” because fully detached houses go for $1million, although trust me, most of us live in the cheaper apartments), there are several of these little libraries. They are considered to add charm and civic pride to the neighbourhood, not to mention encouraging a reading culture. Saying the neighbourhood’s too posh for open book lending is just petty.

12 Likes

We’ve got a few friends in that part of Kansas and they’ve said it’s more about Leawood being uptight in the HOA sense, than anything else. So, no, Kansans aren’t against books–and the city officials aren’t either. It’s the neighbors not wanting to look at what they consider to be an eyesore. :frowning:

1 Like

Little free libraries aren’t some tacky lawn ornament–they promote literacy and (except in this case of hoity-toity neighbors) community. We have hundreds in our city and they are beloved and well cared for by neighbors and envied by those who visit from outside communities that don’t have them.

Literacy and fellowship is always in good taste!

3 Likes

Some communities DO require a permit to build a mailbox. A bit silly, I know. The code itself can be a bit strange, but it is designed to be rigid and inflexible. The jurisdictions who adopt that code have flexibility in how they do so, and how they react to it. The code is NOT the law by itself - it has to be amended and adopted by a local jurisdiction.

1 Like

Oh, NH has stupid codes and stupid people, but 90% of the time the “live free or die” ethic wins out pretty quickly. Seriously, New Englanders can be pretty hardcore about minding your own business.

I’ve been to Kansas. It’s, well… http://whatsthematterwithkansas.com/

1 Like

Taste is subjective. I don’t know how much effect they have on literacy. YMMV.

Yeah, I live on the ass end of Illinois, and while we have a lot of codes, it tends to only kick in if you’re doing something obnoxious, or (more likely) if you’ve pissed off your neighbor. And yeah, they tend to be of the “don’t tread on me” variety.

Just to be gross about it, the “lagoon” method of dealing with sewage is completely illegal–my house has a fairly expensive, legally mandated septic tank–but one of my neighbors has a lagoon (and is already getting pretty ripe.) I keep my trap shut because I’ve made a lot of modifications to my house and property myself, and we’re supposed to get licensed contractors, and follow code, for every bit of it, no matter how rural. It has good intentions but ultimately ends up being “go be poor somewhere else”.

Speaking of “Don’t tread on me”, I saw some guys flying one of those flags along with an “Impeach Obama” flyer, off an overpass, in St. Charles, MO over the weekend. Nearly every car was honking. I just…okay.

1 Like

Like they had Words and they were strung in these awful, heathenish sentences which were satanic in the only way evil appears: Grammatically correct.

2 Likes

False analogy you would need a permit for almost everything you just listed. And where is anyone calling this thing a “house”?

Yes this town is being dumb, but so is taking the argument to the opposite extreme.

This has to be the greatest slacktivist post of all time. Yeah give them one star on Facebook woohoo that’ll show 'em.

1 Like

In fairness, it was the über-conservative fringey nut expatriates of the 80s and 90s who drove this idea. In the rest of the country these folks are known as “the real-estate speculator/land development scam artists who showed up one day with a giant brand-new pick-em-up, backwoods accents that sounded like they came from the TV, and nothing good to say about the crazy libruls out in California”.

Hey, it’s just what people prove themselves to be with their actions.