Bugs with the new BBS system

Looks like you’re on a Mac. What browser are you running? I tried latest Safari, Chrome and Firefox and all worked just fine.

firefox. should be latest… yeah, 26. hmm. like i said, it worked fine at the time of my posting from the same machine, so that’s weird.

lemme check the post again.

well, that’s weird, it’s working again:

I’m glad I screenshotted the first time, or y’all’d think I was bullshitting you.

anyway, I guess it’s cool now?

EDIT: @zogstrip I noticed it did it again.

• restarted computer for other reasons.
  • open firefox
  • browsing BBS
  • go to my profile
  • see the comment on my feed
  • click thru to it
  • no spoilers
  • F5
  • spoilers functional
  • navigate away
  • go back
  • spoilers still functional

when I first noticed the bug, I had navigated to the comment via the same route. make of it what you will.

Looked at the front board and saw the following topic listing. Not sure how the number of posts came to be negative twenty but it caught my attention. Also, the first post in that thread is a reply to a post in a different thread, but when I try to expand the replied post it tries loading it, then gives up.

2 Likes

Different computer, different browser. Buttons show up on this one. Endless scrolling/autoload still breaks scrolling and searches. Burn it. Burn it with fire.

What OS and browser version? Scrolling should definitely be working, we test on Safari, Firefox, Chrome, IE, but only recent versions are supported.

(Searching within a topic does need some improvement.)

I had a quick look around the features section of meta.discourse (and if in future I should report these types of thing there, please let me know) but I found a web page which the URL summary fetch (or whatever it’s called) feature really weirded out on:

http://olympics.time.com/2012/08/09/olympic-homophobia-why-are-there-so-few-openly-gay-athletes/
1 Like

Agreed, in fact it was so weird I couldn’t even tell what was going on. Another oneboxer bug, @eviltrout will whip it into shape. In the meantime, just make an URL like this

[like this](http://olympics.time.com/2012/08/09/olympic-homophobia-why-are-there-so-few-openly-gay-athletes/)

And it won’t onebox. Or put a character in front or behind the URL of any kind, including words, e.g.

http://olympics.time.com/2012/08/09/olympic-homophobia-why-are-there-so-few-openly-gay-athletes/ that’s how.

1 Like

I seem to be getting loads of locked threads as recommended reading (threads that haven’t been touched in months). Some I thought I’d muted, or at least moved to regular. Now they all say I’m following them. Do I have to work my way through each one to get them off the list?

Can I get rid of them from the list? Is there a way to mark all posts as read?

1 Like

I hear that bulk action on topics is eventually coming, including untracking all those old posts.

Eventually.

It would be nice if it came faster.

1 Like

Can you check a few of them? Enter at the bottom (click the rightmost activity date) then see if the notification state is “regular”. If it is not, you were indeed tracking that topic.

They all say tracking. But why are they all popping up now?

We used to suppress closed topics from the suggested topics list.

This generally worked well but on a site like BBS where topics regularly auto-close after 5 days it could leave you in the lurch quite often. If there were 5 unread replies to the topic a few hours before it closed – once it closed you would not see it in suggested topics at all the very second that happened. So you’d never find that closed but unread and tracked topic again, unless you remembered to manually check the unread tab.

And then what @riking said too.

Here’s a weird one that I just noticed today, since I’ve been doing lots of post editing in a PM thread for Badass Dragons of Whatever in preparation for public posting of nifty postapocalyptic missions. Anyway, today I find that if I’m editing one of my posts, or even quote-replying to someone else’s post, exactly half the time the edit box will open up blank. I hit cancel, then Yes for “Are you sure you want to abandon your post?” and then I hit the edit pencil (or try replying) again and the edit box opens with all the appropriate words present. It alternates perfectly: works, doesn’t-work, works, doesn’t-work.

Chrome Version 32.0.1700.107 m on Win8.

FWIW, @penguinchris seemed to be having the same trouble once I mentioned to him what I was experiencing.

Bug introduced by a community contributed fix for a composer issue (category not saved in drafts). We are rolling that back.

1 Like

In discourse, FireFox 29,0a2, Window7, scroll-wheel-click on some links opens in new tab (as expected) AND switches to the new tab (NOT expected); right-click >> open in new tab opens in new tab but does not switch to new tab (as expected).

Outside of discourse, scroll-wheel-click on link opens in new tab but does not switch to new tab (as expected).

What are some links? Generally, links inside of a comment. Discourse-related links like “in reply to” and profile-links open in new tab, but do not auto-switch.

Both of these links open in a new tab, and auto-switch to that tab:

UNLESS they are clicked on in the preview panel, in which case they open in a new tab and do NOT switch [We’ve talked about differences between preview behavior and rendered behavior before, as related to html-entities].

I don’t believe this behavior was present since the start (since I rely pretty heavily on scroll-wheel-clicks, and it annoys the heck out of me, something that Discourse in general does not), but happened some time in Dec 2013 or 2014.

I remember there being some dicussion about long usernames being broken into two lines but can’t (am too lazy) to find that discussion… it might have been on meta.discourse I guess.

Anyway, noticed that in some of the expandable tabs for reading the replied-to comment, the username stretches over the text.
(Actually the username as it appears in the regular view isn’t broken into two lines either but doesn’t stretch over the text and is centrally justified)

This is a screen of post 9 ‘in reply’ to post 7 on topic 22919 from:

http://bbs.boingboing.net/t/indian-readers-sue-penguin-for-copyright-to-book-that-is-to-be-pulped-due-to-religious-fundamentalists-campaign/22919/7

Firefox 27, Windows 7, just updated Discourse software a couple of days ago when prompted.

edit: robotmonkeys name is properly (centrally) justified in the main view.

am I missing a flash update or something?

all the youtube embeds are solid black today (but with sound.) also, when I posted a video with the time t=24 thing at the end of the url, it plays it from the beginning.

mac OS 10.6.8 firefox latest

Dunno, looks fine here in IE11. There was some major Flash exploit recently:

Well, I went ahead and updated my flash player and restated firefox, but it’s not your problem–it’s happening with embeds on other sites, too.

sorry, I should’ve checked that first.

everything was fine yesterday ¯\ __(ツ) _ /¯

See “dismiss unread” at the bottom right of your unread tab to get any dangling topics you are tracking which you have no interest in reading now. That button changes them all to “regular” notification state in one click/tap.