Can you figure out what this photo is? Hint: It's alive

[Permalink]

Dang it, the hint totally gave it away! :laughing:

I was going to guess: A top down closeup of the joint between the thorax and abdomen of a some sort of fly.

1 Like

uhh this is a beetle, not a spider. probably a june beetle.

ex: m6.i.pbase.com/o4/94/339594/1/63021926.Eesr8Vug.IMG_7043.JPG

3 Likes

That’s what I immediately saw, and I used to spend a lot of time looking at insects under low-power scopes. What I can’t see in the picture is the division between the elytra (wing covers).

Ah, this takes me back to my childhood subscription to National Geographic World (now National Geographic Kids because the articles about kids involved in science and the Muppets didn’t make the target audience clear).

The back of the magazine would have a close-up or unusual picture titled “What in the World?” Then there’d be an explanation of what it was.

[quote=“davide405, post:2, topic:49302”]Dang it, the hint totally gave it away![/quote]I was thinking there could be some possibility that it was some variety of fruit (the upper red portion bears a vague resemblance to a strawberry), or maybe a field seen from above, but I was definitely leaning towards some variety of bug.

Maybe it’s just because I was looking at some pictures of odd fruit recently.

1 Like

I’ll just leave a shout out for @catgrin here for the next time she logs on.

Random unrelated pics are unrelated. There’s nothing in the second picture that resembles the structure seen in the first. There’s nothing in the linked photostream suggesting that they’re connected–they were taken in different months and there’s pics of sea life in between them

But I’m just an Irrational Hater, so what would I know.

2 Likes

That is not a fruit.

It is, in fact, a citizen of R’lyeh.

2 Likes

[quote=“PhasmaFelis, post:8, topic:49302”]There’s nothing in the second picture that resembles the structure seen in the first.[/quote]The leg joints look pretty close, actually.

Hmm, I see what you mean. There is some resemblance, in any case; I meant to say that the first doesn’t seem to appear in the second, despite similarities.

thats because the first image is a striped june beetle :slight_smile:

ex: www.biolib.cz/IMG/GAL/BIG/189321.jpg

1 Like

I’d just like to point out that spiders are arachnids, not insects. (Entirely different clade) The top half of the beetle close-up reminds me of a strawberry though.

Also, ew. (Arachnophobe here)

in my simple taxonomic world. all arthropods are insects. So there :wink:

What about strawberries? Are those insects too? :stuck_out_tongue:

Edibility of Arthropoda is contested by some reasonable persons…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.