Can you solve the "scrambled box tops" puzzle?

I concur.

I don’t know, I haven’t tried.

Can you stop using click bait titles?

It would take me at least 6 marbles
 even then, I might mess up.

3 Likes

You’ll never believe what marble he pulled out of the box!!

8 Likes

I also skipped over the bit where it said all boxes are incorrectly labeled. Without that info, the puzzle is just irritating since it doesn’t really have an answer. It’s obvious that with luck you could do it in three, but since you can only take out one marble at a time-- and could therefore draw the same marble 100 times without knowing it-- there’s no upper bound on how long it could take.

1 Like

I once did a programming interview that had a few questions sort of like this. I had been pulling quite a lot of overtime so i wasn’t at my best. I said what I thought the answer was, and when they asked how I got it, I said I chose the most counter-intuitive option, because this is the kind of puzzle that prides itself on being “clever”.

I have no regrets about not getting that gig.

8 Likes

Hey, you were truly thinking outside of the box!

4 Likes

My favorite puzzle of that type goes:

Suppose you are a bus driver. The bus sets out and makes its first stop where six people board. At the second stop three people get on and four people get off. At the next stop two people get off and seven people get on. At the fourth stop two people board and no one disembarks. At the fifth stop eight people disembark and three people board. When the bus returns to the station four more people disembark. What color are the bus driver’s eyes?

3 Likes

I only know the answer because I watched Fermat’s Room.

1 Like

Kinda hazel

2 Likes

You forgot the metadata :slight_smile:

I’ve always heard the end of the riddle as, “You were paying attention, right? Okay, what is the name of the bus driver?”

1 Like

Quite some time ago, I bought Fermat’s Room on DVD from a rental place that was going out of business, despite knowing nothing at all about it. Is it decent?

I enjoyed it. Rather an odd movie, characters locked in a room full of mystery
 why are they there, what’s the connection between them, and why are the walls moving?

Depends on your definition of decent. It’s definitely watchable. It’s a bit geeky, a bit funny and a teeny bit tense. I enjoyed it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.