Comic about the invention of The Slinky

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Of course I used it for many other uses…

1 Like

I remember reading that the first Slinkys were made from military surplus tube stock that was originally intended for Jeep engine cylinder sleeves. I never new about the evangelical connections of the inventor which is an interesting twist. But like many other items the new Slinkys don’t work like the originals. Ham radio and SW listeners use Slinkys for antennas by attaching them to an old fishing rod and hanging them out the window. The Slinky became a length adjustable recieving antenna and when an antenna matchbox was added for transmitting as well. I have also attached them to a speaker with a contact mic on the other end and made a sort of free air reverb tank that could be used to make weird noises as well by touching and hitting it.

Kind of sad, really. The velcro comic’s ending was way more uplifting. Life, eh?

1 Like

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

You could say that Richard followed his dreams, and Betty raised six kids, turned a failing company into a success and provided jobs in her home town.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that the real story seems to begin in the last panel. I mean, it’d be one thing if he left them, they sold the business/patents to some corporation for a pittance and had an unremarkable life… that would be kind of a sad ending. But no, she stuck with it, built up a failing company and got rich off it and almost certainly turned out better off than if her ex had stuck around.

1 Like

I had a roommate that I used to refer to as The Slinky. At first glance, you’re not sure what he’s good for, but the thought of watching him fall down a flight of stairs seems like a lot of fun.

I can’t hear the Slinky jingle without immediately thinking of Log.

2 Likes

What rolls down stairs
alone or in pairs,
and over your neighbor’s dog?
What’s great for a snack,
And fits on your back?
It’s log, log, log

It’s log, it’s log,
It’s big, it’s heavy, it’s wood.
It’s log, it’s log, it’s better than bad, it’s good."

Everyone wants a log
You’re gonna love it, log
Come on and get your log
Everyone needs a log
log log log
whistle

LOG FROM BLAMMO

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.