Company says facial features reveal terrorists and pedophiles 80% of the time

I’m looking at your avatar.
I’m reading the headline here (“Company says facial features reveal…”)

I’m hearing this song in my head. Right. Now.

“Nothing Compares 2 U” is an original song written and composed by the American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and actor Prince (born Prince Rogers Nelson, June 7, 1958, Minneapolis, Minnesota - UNITED STATES, Died: April 21, 2016, Chanhassen, Minnesota - UNITED STATES) for one of his side projects called “The Family”. Released in 1985, the song appeared on the album but it was not released as a single.

1 Like

Parallel Construction is the phrase you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Prince and O’Connor reputedly got into quite the dust-up over that cover. Two strong personalities clashing I guess. I love both versions and both artists.

4 Likes

Although it seems that O’Connor was very strongly affected by Prince’s death. I think at some point they must have made it up (or the story about them fighting over it was BS to begin with, I only know it from when the song came out, and it turns out most of the things I knew back then were nonsense).

3 Likes

And besides, the demeanor of each party changed with the wind.

2 Likes

Wow. I can only imagine. Strong personalities doesn’t begin to fully describe those two.

I love both versions as well. I realize I am about to veer way way waaaaaay off-topic, but… have you heard the John Moe version of “When Doves Cry”? It’s hilarious.

The early, written version:

He had a show called “Wits” with a pretty decent backing band. When I go to WitsRadio.org I can’t get a single dang episode to play (did they run out of funding for streaming audio?). I heard the live, first-run of Moe’s radio piece “Pop Song Correspondence” featuring that Prince cover on my public radio station. It was funky and funny.

1 Like

Perhaps that 20 percent are oysters! Or clams!

That’s exactly it. Thanks.

@LDoBe thanks, yeah, nobody likes getting headshotted by Potato.

Fleshy-headed mutant! Are you friendly?

At the same time, we have had a few million years of evolving not to signal our undesirable personalities in our faces.

5 Likes

Exactly: a lab-trained neural net has a million-year arms race to catch up on. An arms-race that may have contributed significantly to the size of the neural nets we carry around in our skulls, but at any rate can only be competed in by nets of comparable size, and even then we can’t do it just by looking at faces alone, we have to take in context, behaviour and history to have a decent chance of identification.

1 Like

Ah, the amazing success rate of “profiling”.

3 Likes

Yeah, but then we invented beer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.