Court has to diagram a law's tortured sentence structure in order to rule

[Permalink]

1 Like

Can anyone diagram that headline?

21 Likes

Thatā€™s it. Time for a constitutional amendment requiring that all future legislation be written in Lojban. The lawā€™s already opaque to most U.S. citizens; at least this way Congress would become a hostile environment for the rationally-challenged.

2 Likes

Thanks for that horrible flashback to seventh grade English class!!!

I think Iā€™m gonna need a euphemistic chaser after that trauma.

4 Likes

I saw a page written in it. Makes more sense than a page written in Lawyerglish; the latter has words that individually are mostly familiar but assembled together are virtually devoid of meaning.

1 Like

Just imagine Yoda reading it. No, it doesnā€™t make it make any more sense, but itā€™s not as brain-bending that way.

I canā€™t even the whole thing.

I read it about 6 times hoping it would finally make sense. Nope.

Throw me down the stairs my hat.

1 Like

ā€œCourt has to diagram a lawā€™s tortured sentence structure in order to ruleā€

The ā€œdiagramā€ is just in the wrong place.

No, I think the original line is better. This is how linguistic evolution works :smirk: point mutations and transposons and such.

I need a sentence diagram of the title. Just words in a random order arenā€™t they? Is that the point?

I think itā€™s in Obverse Yodish, yes.

ā€œLost my horn, lost my horn,
Found my horn, gorneā€

1 Like

Brainf**k would be better. Or that rule of, who was it, the Persians? - that before a new law could be passed an old one must be abolished.

4 Likes

I had trouble with it too till I realized ā€˜diagramā€™ is used as a verb. Then it made sense.

3 Likes

Which it isnā€™t.

I read that title 5 times before I gave up, and then I got it. Could be written in a clearer way D:

I think you accidentally the title. Is that OK?

Being somewhat dyslexic, I didnā€™t even notice anything odd about the title. My mind just rearranged the words into a sensible order. Does this mean I should have been a lawyer?

3 Likes