Judges read XKCD

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Soon to have an opposite ruling in Atlanta, setting the stage for an XKCD Scotus showdown!

1 Like

So will we be expecting rooms filled with colourful balls in government buildings?

3 Likes

Or can it be that the judges just know someone who uses this expression?

this just in: judges are people, too, and read stuff on the internet!

1 Like

no ur rong.

1 Like

I’m an appellate court staff attorney, which means that I draft opinions and other court dispositions, and I read XKCD. I wouldn’t intentionally sneak in a reference that a judge didn’t get, but it could happen. Judges mostly don’t do first drafts. Or yeah, the judge could be an XKCD fan. One of my regrets in my job is that I haven’t yet had the nerve to propose a Calvinball reference.

8 Likes

But then how will we ever be able to track them down and show them the truth that they NEED to know?

1 Like

I trust any judge that reads XKCD

1 Like

(A few hundred years ago in England)

Lawyer 1: … and I refer the court to the case of…

Lawyer 2: Objection! We did that last time, remember?

Judge: Sustained. New rule! All lawyers must now wear these silly wigs in court.

1 Like

We all like to think that being smart enough to get xkcd puts us in rarefied intellectual company, but IIRC* it’s actually the most popular webcomic on the planet, and not just by a little bit, either–it gets like four times as many hits as #2. It’s not at all unlikely that a judge–or anyone else who speaks English–might be a fan.

*I saw a convincing and well-referenced chart that I can’t find anymore. Alexa seems to agree, at least.

My comment has nothing to do with alleged audience for the comic. I just pointed that judging by the facts presented, we can’t be sure that the judge(s) actually read XKCD.

A couple of years ago I found a way to search out the largest English-language forum (can’t remember what I did now), and it was the XKCD forum.

1 Like

You might consider getting our permission before telling the world that ‘we all’ do a thing that in reality, you do. Many of us got over that thing decades ago. It’s cool. I’m sure you didn’t mean to speak for other people.

Also, last week’s what if question was posted by Lowering the Bar’s Kevin Underhill. Will the gap between Physics and Law finally be bridged? (seriously, we used to have epic feuds over who gets to use the Science library work spaces in college)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.