Fox & Friends apologizes for announcing death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who lives

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/21/fox-friends-apologizes-for-a.html

1 Like

Is that lace doily around the justice’s neck part of her official rig? It looks rather like half-hearted cosplay. A real chief justice should be rocking this kind of look. Those are clothes that demand respect.

Lord-Judge-and-Ken-Clarke

5 Likes

It’s established journalistic proactice to have pre-written graphics and obits and whatnot ready to roll for famous people. But having them floating around in production databases and content management systems, one click of a “Publish” button from disaster, is a common mistake.

I wonder if it’s common journalistic practice to salivate and hover in hope over that same button.

13 Likes

fox-news-facts

23 Likes

Just in case that was a serious question used as a prefix to the joke - my understanding is that the US Supreme Court judges get to wear whatever they like.

7 Likes

Alternative facts…alternative timeline.

6 Likes

I’d much prefer if Ruth Bader Ginsburg announced the death of Fox & Friends.

44 Likes

That is more typical of administrative courts, but SCOTA still presides in robes, and a few of the justices add personal flair:

In the United States Supreme Court, jabots are worn by some female justices, but are not mandatory. … Ginsburg has a collection of jabots from around the world. She stated in 2014 that she has a particular jabot that she wears when issuing her dissents (black with gold embroidery and faceted stones), as well as another she wears when issuing majority opinions (crocheted yellow and cream with crystals) which was a gift from her law clerks. Her favorite jabot (woven with white beads) is from Cape Town, South Africa.

4 Likes

They probably did it on purpose.

1 Like

Is that Ken Clarke on the left?

3 Likes

Strangely, yes. Though, I guess that, from his point of view, he was on the right.

6 Likes

I like the idea of swapping garb for different decisions; so long as my judge doesn’t put on a black cap.

(I wonder what the beef is the Lord Mayor of London?)

3 Likes

I’m guessing that’s his Lord Chancellor’s get-up from his stint as Justice Secretary.

1 Like

Yup - but (unlike the UK) that is a tradition (or an old charter or something) and the details of what each justice wears is up to them.

We in the UK have rules.

Ours were supposed to be revamped in 2008 with something a bit more Star Wars villain but I don’t know what happened with that. I know it was unpopular and oddly enough since then I haven’t had a hearing where the judge chose to ‘robe’.

4 Likes

I think it is really brave of judges who allow Devo to design their costumes; like these from First senate of the German Federal Constitutional Court in 1989.

Oh, and here’s Justice Ginsburg again; though the chap to her left doesn’t look too happy about being stuck in the back row.

6 Likes

FTFY.

I don’t think the Justice Secretary gets to wear the wig and gown (and the garters). It’s just that he happens to also be the same chap as the one who is the Lord Chancellor.

Isn’t Britain fun?

3 Likes

half a ruff… haha

1 Like

He was Lord Chancellor[1] between 2010 and 2012. In order of precedence, Lord Chancellor actually outranks the Prime Minister (who has no constitutional role) and is responsible for the efficient and independent running of the courts.

They also get to look after the awesomely-named Great Seal of the Realm[2] which is affixed to legislation when it receives Royal Assent and becomes law.

[1] The role is now officially known as Her Majesty’s Principal Secretary of State for Justice.
[2] No, not the animal.

2 Likes

But isn’t the Justice Secretary ex officio Lord Chancellor (or possibly the Lord Chancellor ex officio Justice Secretary)? I.e., it’s not just that he happened to have both jobs; you now can’t have one job without the other.

2 Likes

They were just celebrating her years of service to the nation so far, and wishing her a long and productive life!

4 Likes