How Roger Stone's backfired testimony proves Judge Amy Berman Jackson is a damn boss

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/22/how-roger-stones-backfired-t.html

14 Likes

Some people are just caricatures of themselves. And that sums up everybody in Trump’s circle. “The adult in the room.”, that’s just the rest.

4 Likes

Can Roger Stone get through a whole weekend without violating his gag order?

36 Likes

Marcy suggests that it’s likely Stone will violate (or may have already violated!) the terms of Thursday’s gag order

If he already has violated it, as Marcy suggests, how has he already done so already? Just curious. But man i can’t wait to see what happens next.

5 Likes

5 Likes

I think all of these guys, from Trump on down, have just been getting away with shit that the average joe on the street would be locked up for. They’re used to it, they’ve done it their whole lives, they think it’s normal, but you can bet they will crucify any opponent who broke those same rules. The law only applies to other people.

35 Likes

Rule number one in any court proceeding, the one rule every lawyer learns their first day in court, the one rule you cannot ever ever violate and expect anything good to happen to you,

DON’T EVER ACT LIKE AN ASSHOLE TO THE JUDGE.

This was the most literal example of contempt of the court seen in public.

25 Likes

Someone online said Roger Stone

Resembles Beaker

I can almost see it

8 Likes

I don’t remember which book it was in, but Terry Pratchett had a really good bit about rich people and law. He said they thought of justice like a commodity, like coal or potatoes. They order a bushel when they think they need it, and the rest of the time they ignore it.

27 Likes

He looks like Mitch McConnell’s illegitimate son.

6 Likes

Soon…

He really is the weaselyist weasel whoever weaseled.

com

7 Likes

Pretty sure he’s Patient Zero for the Zika virus.

12 Likes

com-optimize%20(16)

It’s so crazy that being held to account is a culture shock and how little they can handle it. I think they all need female judges just to make it all the more off-putting for them.

10 Likes

I had jury duty on Teus. and it was sickening (?) how often the lawyers ingratiated themselves before the judge. Mother may I? Mother please? Etc…

I understand why but, wow they were laying it on thick.

Stone would have been thrown out of the court that I was in.

3 Likes

“A good lawyer knows the law. A clever one takes the judge out for lunch.”, attr. Mark Twain

15 Likes

For Stone’s entire life, the press has coddled Stone, treating him as a nifty character whose toxic speech doesn’t damage society. ABJ was having none of that

Funny what happens when someone who claims to be a responsible adult actually acts like one and makes a conscious decision not to tolerate an obvious trolley and takes away his platform. This has been a long time coming.

If Stone is anything like Internet comment section trollies, he’ll violate the judge’s ban if he hasn’t already. There are pathological compulsions at work with these types, and there’s nothing charming about them and nothing that excuses coddling them.

17 Likes

He does look like the kind of guy who owns a fedora huh?

By talking to friends who then posted things about his trial on social media. If the friends’ posts can be construed as saying things on behalf of Stone, then Stone is violating the order.

At least that’s what the below person says (note: I am sure there are more detailed writeups on the issue of violations of the gag order by proxy, but every search I tried is swamped by general news articles about the gag order itself. If anyone finds a better explication of the possible violations emptywheel mentions, please provide a link).

13 Likes

Judges have enormous power. In Law School 101, you learn that it’s wise to be nice to them.

Also, the tradition of courtroom etiquette is full of protocols that boil down to treating the judge with deference and courtesy.

13 Likes

HOW AMY BERMAN JACKSON GOT ROGER STONE TO STEP IN IT AND THEN STEP IN IT AGAIN

So it’s the judge’s fault he can’t shut the hell up?

4 Likes