Judge Amy Berman Jackson imposes gag order on Roger Stone, can no longer speak publicly about the investigation or case

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/21/roger-stone-testifies-in-judge.html

“No, Mr. Stone, I’m not giving you another chance,” Judge Amy Berman Jackson said. “I have serious doubt whether you learned any lesson at all.”

10 Likes

I love that he is OFC blaming some assistant.

34 Likes

Stone’s lawyers have just tripled their billing rate to make up for all the whisky they will need to recover from defending this asshole.

36 Likes

The crosshair emblem looks very much like part of a larger logo; surely someone has figured out what logo it is by now?

6 Likes

Among others, Stormfront. image
It’s no coincidence; it’s a feckin dog whistle if ever there was one.

36 Likes

He’d be better off admitting the symbol really was crosshairs but claim he didn’t notice it until afterwards. At least that excuse would fit with his normal M.O.

12 Likes

It was apparently a cropped version of an image bearing the logo from an ultra-right-wing racist conspiracy site. Here’s a screen shot of the uncropped version:

15 Likes

I think it would be a bad idea if Lucky Charms decided to add that shape.

9 Likes

Isn’t this the third time for this story? And isn’t Stormfront infinitely worse than crosshairs?

8 Likes

Why link to a string of 45 Tweets that has to be pieced together into a single narrative instead of finding a complete story to reference? These are hard to read.

19 Likes

Twitterbation will make one go blind.

7 Likes

Annnnnd… that’s all the thinking about Roger Stone’s anus that I need for an entire lifetime.

4 Likes

I find anything to do with Roger Stone is hard to read.

4 Likes

I completely agree. If I were his lying consultant I definitely would have went with just-grabbed-an-image-and-didn’t-really-look-at-it.

Yeah, the conspiracy site the logo comes from might also be worse than crosshairs, though I think in their logo it is crosshairs.

That was too many tweets providing every possible permutation of five facts.

But for the one who wonders why they’d put Roger Stone on the stand, it’s because this is not a criminal proceeding. In a criminal proceeding you can’t have your choice not to testify be taken as an admission of guilt. In a case where a judge is calling you to court to ask you why they shouldn’t alter the arrangements of your release-pending-trial, you had better answer whatever questions they have. Stone’s lawyers had to assume the judge walked in with the intent to put him in jail, and that they needed to convince the judge otherwise.

17 Likes

there needs to be a tag #PriviledgedWhitePersonHasFirstCourtRealityCheck

4 Likes

Indeed. The context and the associated “Corruption Central” wording make it clear that they are targeting … something. You might be able to argue - narrowly, and pedantically - it’s not a literal rifle or scope crosshairs, but you can’t argue that it’s not a targeting symbol.

6 Likes

Odds are good that the complete stories haven’t been written yet. It would seem the hearing is still ongoing, as I’m seeing tweets dated just a few minutes ago still popping up in my timeline. The near-real-time information supplied by reporters who are live-covering the hearing through tweets is likely all that’s currently available.

6 Likes

Stone repeats he’s under stress, says thoughts of being raped in prison if he’s convicted are stressing him out.

Trust me, no one wants a piece of that. Worry more about prison shivs and beatdowns.

5 Likes

To wit, the gag order just came down seconds ago.

5 Likes

popcorn

8 Likes